June 17, 2008

The Museum of the Marine Corp

For Fathers Day, my family asked what I wanted to do. So I told them I'd like to go see the newly opened Museum of the Marine Corp just outside the gates of Quantico. While my wife tends to avoid all things military on TV, stopping in a museum to see the real history of a unit or battle is one thing she does enjoy, and of course the boys were all set to see some tanks and stuff.

So after an excrutiating drive down 95 to Triangle, VA we arrived at the Museum of the Marine Corp. With free admission and parking you can't beat it for a day trip from the metro area.

We pulled into the parking lot and were greeted with this sight.


An abstract concept representing the flag raising on Mount Suribachi, Iwo Jima, the museum greet visitors at the far end of the entrance and parking lot.

Out front is Iron Mike.


But inside is where the real history can be found not only in the displays, but in the visitors. The Museum seems to be a required stop for ALL Marines, future, past and present.

Marine's in the making, "Getting Their Religion."

The Real history of the Marine Corp

Current Marines, adding the the Corps history every day.

Before leaving we stopped into the gift shop, where we were assaulted by all things collectable and Marine! As an Army Scout...it was almost to much, to bear. And even my wife exclaimed, "It's ALL Marine!" For a Marine though, it would never be enough, the Corps' history is their religion, it's what makes the saying "Once a Marine, Always a Marine" so true for them.

We did find a wonderful watercolor by my favorite combat artist, okay, the only combat artist I know Warrant Officer 1, Michael D. Fay. Gunner Fay, I was told, was upon the grounds that day, but we were unable to find him unfortunately, otherwise I would have gotten this little number signed personally.


All in all, a wonderful day trip. If you are in the area, please stop in, you won't be dissapointed.

No comments: