November 1, 2005

Whatever happened to peeing in the wild?

The tag line to The Mudville Gazette is George Orwell’s famous quote, "Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." If that is true how are we to sleep in a few years, when this current crop of males takes their place in business, government and all the other functions of government and life in general?

I wrote earlier this week about my son and his camping experiences, but what I am focusing on now is his reluctance to not pee in the wild. I mentioned his actions to a friend of mine and he stated that his son was the same way. My friend Texas Grey states that her husband will just pee anywhere, especially if they are out in the hot tub, I hope that doesn’t mean he pees in the hot tub. She then stated that her neighbor has confided in her that her husband will also just pee outside without a thought to it. What we all thought was an innate trait in all men is apparently being bred out of us with each generation that becomes more and more androgynous.

Is this some secret plot to feminize American males? I’m not sure I can say that it’s a world wide plot for many of the men I met in Europe 20 years ago were pretty feminized already. Perhaps it has slowly moved over the ocean to the States and only now that I have children in the public school system and I am noticing it first hand.

When I was in the Army it wasn’t at all unusual for us to just face off the side of the APC and let it go where we were. Being in an all male unit there were no concerns at all, and in the fire service if you don’t have a thick skin you won’t last long so there is little PC talk there. I have no idea what’s going to happen to this country, but for me, I’ll be teaching my boys to pee in the wild.

No comments: