February 24, 2006

Driver's Licenses for Legal Residents.

Just when I think my local paper can’t get any wackier, the editorial board throws me for a loop and takes a stand for something that I whole heartedly agree with. Today they published an editorial entitled Driver's licenses for legal residents only and I have to agree with them one hundred percent on this.

Driver’s Licenses have become the de facto proof of Identification in this country and only legal residents should be able to attain them. More importantly this bill is not about being isolationist or preventing immigration it’s about national security and curbing illegal immigration. Of course not everyone is happy with this proposal and I can be sure that over the next few weeks the presses will be burning up with the pro and con letters that will undoubtedly be coming in.

The editorial board also states quite rightly that its not “one bit unfair or discriminatory for the State of Maryland to require proof of legal residency before issuing someone an important document such as a driver's license…” a point that seems to be lost on the liberal crowd.

No comments: