June 16, 2006

Web Reconnaissance for 06/16/2006

A short recon of what’s out there that might draw your attention.


Pam of Iraq War Today writes Making Mincemeat of Moonbats “Earlier today, while cruising the referrals to this blog, I came across a moonbat's evaluation of IWT that described it as "War-mongering bloggers that take pleasure in other's deaths, and the efficiency and lethality of the US war machine." and puled,"What has the West become?"
Heh. "War-mongering?" Hmmm....” (read more)

MRE Eater writes Six months later “I've been home for about six months now, and a blurb I wrote for a local publication kind of sums things up. Here it is.
Slipping seamlessly back into civilian life does not exactly describe my experience since returning from Iraq. I remembered how to drive a car, operate a washer, look up a statute, turn right on red and ride a bicycle, but I’ve enjoyed odd little hiccups of reentry.” (read more)

Captain B writes COMMITMENT “Commitment is the spirit of determination and dedication found in Marines. It leads to the highest order of discipline for individuals and units. It is the ingredient that enables 24-hour-a-day dedication to the Corps and country. It inspires the unrelenting determination to achieve a standard of excellence in every endeavor.” (read more)

American Citizen Soldier writes SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL “It looks as if Newton’s 2nd Law finally caught up with the Jordanian Terrorist formerly known as Prince of al-Qaeda in Mesopotamia. After three long years of false sightings and near-misses "Elvis" has once again left the building, albeit this time on a gurney at room temperature -- his last full measure of devotion to chaos and instability aimed at winning a war of concession from coalition forces.” (read more)

Sgt Allen writes About Me “As of late I have become set in my ways... I think as I am getting older that I am learning what I like and what I hate. Its a shame that it has taken this long to find my groove, but just like primitive fire building, you only make fire once you make the groove. So as I riding the Metro today I started thinking about myself... from my own perspective instead of everyone else's. So in no particular order here they are.” (read more)

Midnight in Iraq writes The Conversation “Not long ago I was out with a patrol on a “knock-and-talk” operation, visiting Iraqis in their homes to give and get useful information. We happened upon a large house situated across from a small mosque. I knew it was a mosque because I read the Arabic sign above the door and recognized the loudspeakers rising above its roof.” (read more)

Fun With Hand Grenades writes Justified? “From time to time I’ll check the comments on the blog. For the most part I’m left respectful and supportive messages and I thank ya’ll for that. However, occasionally I’ll read something along these lines: “You’re a wicked blood thirsty murdering baby killer! You don’t care about the poor penniless innocent starving Iraqi civilians! You’re just as bad as oil-hungry-can’t-pronounce-nuclear-correctly-Nazi-Bush!”’ (read more)

Glenn Morris of The Babylon Blog writes Food Fit for a King...or a General “If it’s true that “The army marches on its stomach” then it’s also a fact that “The Marines patrol on their chow.” I’m not sure what that means but it makes for a good lead-in to talking about food at the firm base.” (read more)

Dan in the Desert writes SUMMER TIME “Lounging at the pool. I finally had the chance to get some sun and go for a swim the other day. This is one of just a few exclusive pools located in the International Zone (IZ), and I got a great picture of it flying over. I am now roughly 50 miles north of Baghdad, at Balad Airbase (aka LSA Anaconda). This will be my home for the next week while I do some work. I lost count how many times I've been up here.” (read more)

Uncle Jimbo writing at Blackfive writes A Marine for Life weighs in “The following is why we have comments. I will step aside as this gentleman makes his case in mighty fine fashion. Comment below written by: Nolan School A Marine for life. That’s me, I’m a pain in the ass about it. Got the metallic sticker, got lapel pins, and now…I’ve got some problems with the Marine leadership in and around the Beltway and Pentagon area. Serious Questions….I reflect on it now and questions abound.” (read more)

Mohammed at Iraq the Model writes Forward Together...Day 2 “Baghdad sounded quieter than usual today, and the sounds of bombs retracted before the tide of official announcements that took the news headlines replacing the usual bloody scenes.
Traffic in the capital was rather usual for a Thursday, the last weekday in the week. I woke up this morning to the sound of a small explosion, probably a PRG that was followed by some shooting which is usually the response of security forces present in the area to such attacks. That was during the curfew hours in the early morning and when I went out later in the morning there was no evidence that the attack left casualties or material loss and we even didn't hear about it in the news.” (read more)

RedState has Democrats Demand Surrender “Yesterday, RedState participated in a blogger call with members of congress about the Iraq War Resolution pending in the House. Several people on the call noted that the Democrats would probably outdo themselves in talk of defeatism and surrender. We did not have to wait long for that to come true.” (read more)

Cassandra of Villainous Company writes Choosing Money Over Love “America's growing income gap is often cited as a social injustice that requires in the intervention of government. Viewers of the nightly news are subjected to an endless barrage of reports showing America’s lower and middle classes being left behind by the super-rich (i.e., those making over $200,000 a year in adjusted gross income). Rarely, however, do analysts examine where all this wealth is coming from or question the lifestyle choices that make increasing affluence possible.” (read more)

Andi of Andi’s World writes A Moment of Truth for the Mainstream Media “The past few days have been good ones for the pro-victory crowd. Today brought incredible news. News that should make all Americans smile. The insurgency in Iraq is weak, crumbling and shattered. Best of all, they know it.
This document, purportedly recovered from the unsafe house where Zarqawi received two very expensive gifts from the United States Military, gives us a peek into the serious problems facing Al Qaeda in Iraq. Life is not good for the terrorists, despite all that you read and hear.” (read more)

John Noonan of OPFOR writes The Council of the Elders “The Neo Con Blogger has a fascinating email from last week's retired General and Flag Officers' Conference in Fort Carson, Colorado. The email as a whole summarizes the collective judgment of a panel of several Army field commanders, most with operational experience in either Iraq or Afghanistan. While their analysis as a whole makes for choice reading, I was particularly drawn to their thoughts on the public affairs war, commentary which I believe underscores the importance of milblogs.” (read more)

No comments: