July 11, 2006

Recovery

Hey all,

I promised Mr. Stokely that I would get out an update on my surgery and current recovery yesterday, but somehow that turned into today.

So far everything is going great. The surgery was a major success and my leg pain was gone when I woke up in recovery. Now of course my back is sore where they opened me up and I'm all bruised across my lower back but its nothing like the pain I was having. To go into a little detail, I had a recurrent L4-L5 discectomy, which basically means they removed a part of my lumbar disc between the L4 and L5 joint. The part they removed had ruptured into the spinal canal and along with some old scar tissue wrapped itself around my sciatic nerve. The pain was unreal.

My plan is to return to work on the 24th of July, since technically I am on Short-Term Disability, as my vacation ran out on the 7th, and I am scheduled to see the surgeon again on the 21st for my post-operative follow-up. I'm sure everything will go as planned as I am now walking 3 times a day about 1/3 of a mile each time, I'm pretty sure I could go farther but no sense in pushing my luck. I'll be happy to work up to 4 miles again in a few weeks, and then running. Sitting right now is the worst part....my back gets very sore when I sit, so as the doctor ordered I am only sitting as long as it takes to eat, or write an email. *smile*

I also want to take this opportunity to thank Melinda, Kat in Ga and Texas Grey for filling in for me while I recover, those three women are amazing!

Thank you ladies!

I hope to be back to blogging by Friday or early next week at which time I will be researching my site meter to find out who it was that put me over 10,000 visits and I'll also be hitting on Allen Drury again, that man just can't comment on a current topic to save his soul.

Thanks everyone for your prayers while I went through all of this, they were obviously heard.

Thank you and God Bless each and everyone of you.

No comments: