December 4, 2006

Soui Cat - Remembered

Email correspondent GUNNER sends this remembrance of events that happened on December 2. 1966. As Ken Jankel tells his story:

It is so strange to me, that I needed my reading glasses down a few minutes ago, and had to walk around for ten minutes to remember where I put them. Today is December 2'nd 2006. For some reason I can remember everything that happened 40 years ago on this very day. But nothing five minutes ago.

There was a rumor that was going around Fort Meade MD. The rumor had it, that an Armored Unit would never be able to survive in the rice patties and dense jungles of the Republic of South Vietnam. Well in 1966 myself and a whole bunch of young men were asked to join such a Unit being put together at Fort Meade. They trained at Camp Picket Va. They became hard core solders in only a few weeks (yeah! right) and were ready to go. The U.S.Army 11th Armored Cavalry B-Troop 2nd platoon was on 3 Ships loaded with the entire Unit, their Tanks, ACAV's and all their equipment headed for that wonderful day of Dec. 2nd 1966.

I can remember the sound of 100 4th of July shows going off at the same time. I can still smell the Napalm that was dropped on the enemy's tree line, right in front of me. I remember driving by the M-48 Tank that had been split into two parts along side the road. I can remember the sound of incoming bullets hitting the gun shied's that we were holding with all our passion. I can remember the sound a bullet makes when it splits a hair that has grown out of the top of your ear. I can remember how hard my legs were trembling and how fast my heart was racing. Most of all I remember the Tracers that I watched fly into the grass and treeline, as I pulled the trigger on the M-60 I was firering. That day the 11th Armored Cavalry proved to the world, and to Our enemy that we were no push over, in this far away land. We did not loose anyone from the 11th. the enemy lost over 100 that we found in the jungle.

We started the legend, Don't mess with the 11th Cav. You will be Sorry.

To all my brothers that were there that day, I send a big Welcome home Brothers. 40 years ago today... That morning in 1966. The sun came up behind me. As my eyes opened, it looked like the yellow brick road to OZ. It was the thousands of brass shells that all of us Had fired.That is one image I will remember until I die. B-Troop 2nd platoon and two Tanks from D-Company were the guys that were in the beginning of this firefight. Other Troops and Tank Company's were there in a flash to help with our victory.

Thank you all Guys.

Allons Ken Jankel


The "official" reports of the Ambush at Suoi Cat with some correcting by Mr. Jankel are included in the extended section:


Page 1:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Page 2:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

No comments: