April 18, 2007

Update on Homeless Iraq Vet (Robert Stokely)

Thanks for all your help.

Word got out and now local Patriot Guard Riders and American Legion jumped in. They, along with Tim LaFeve and Karen Turley at my church / Crossroads Church, have Kevin pretty much the things he needs to move into the house my friend is letting him move into without any money (Kevin insists on paying him when he gets his pay straightened out). Some have asked what else is needed, well I have put the utilities in my name, there is an on-going need for daily food / groceries (Kevin was a cook in civilian life and for the unit in Iraq) and gas for his car. My church as agreed to handle any donations as a tax deductible contribution if anyone wants to help in that way, and what is not covered, I will pay.

The contact is:
Crossroads Church
Mark in Memo Line "KEVIN WILLIAMS FUND"
Attn: Karen Turley
2546 Sharpsburg McCollum Road
Newnan GA 30265
Karen was the first person I called last Thursday and she arranged for a friend of hers to get Kevin gas as he was over an hour away from us; that friend put $52.00 in his car. Karen has also donated a washer and dryer so Kevin does not have to go Laundromat. The donations will be acknowledged so the person sending it can know it made it to the right place. If not, let me know and I will follow-up from this end.

We are moving Kevin in later this week - and if there is something he doesn't have, I'll put out the word on that, but as of now, looks like he is going to be pretty set for housekeeping.

On the government front - Congressman Lynn Westmoreland (District 3 / my district) and Senator Johnny Isakson are working on his case to get his pay straightened out. Of course, they have to inquire and await a response, and hopefully them merely inquiring shakes the paperwork loose.

Will keep you all posted.

Robert Stokely
proud dad SGT Mike Stokely KIA 16 Aug 05 near Yusufiyah south of Baghdad
US Army E Troop 108 CAV 48th Brigade GAARNG

No comments: