May 15, 2007

The Thunder Run Enters Kuwait

Yes you read that right, although it is not I who has arrived it is a long time friend who agreed to send back dispatches from his section of the front and his part in the Global War on Terror.

Not suprisingly he lets us know that the story we read in the MSM is far from the truth on the ground. He writes:

Who am I?

Dave has given me the title Thunder Run Correspondent for Naval Affairs (Kuwait) a.k.a. TRCNAK pronounced "Truck Nack." You know the Government loves acronyms. I first met Dave in the Fire House. We hit it off immediately. Both of us were: Ex-military, married with children, Christian, and shared a love of Fire and Rescue. We would laugh and cry together many times after that. We've both felt the rotor wash from a medevac helicopter, and washed a child's blood off of our hands. Shared experiences strengthen bonds. But those stories can be told another day.

What am I doing in Kuwait? I have travelled here to provide support to an Expeditionary Medical Facility as they switch into sustainment mode. Most of my 20 years in the DoD have been in the support role. I think I have one of the best jobs in the world. My customers are also my heroes.

At this point I should add my disclaimer. All the information that I provide is unclassified. I would never knowingly violate OPSEC. Nothing that I say or do constitutes or reflects DoD policy. The use of any trademarks or copyright material does not imply endorsement by the U.S. Government. Hell, the stuff I say may be fiction for all you know.

I think Bob Sims said it best in his blog when he said "I would never pretend that any implied discomforts or dangers here are in any way comparable to the deprivations and deadly hazards suffered daily by the real heroes fighting up north. I have nothing but the highest regards...for those brave warriors, and I fully recognize that my daily existence here is only in support of their incredible efforts."

Now that I have typed a couple of paragraphs of preface, let me say...

Dave, you oughta see it. This place is covered with highly motivated Americans (military, civilian, and contractor). These people have this place running as smooth as glass. They support what is going on up north, and I have never seen more talented and "switched on" people. They are the NEXT GEN. The up and coming generation. These people have their game faces on and they exercise their free will and initiative... to America's advantage. I met with Chief N from Maryland. He was very protective of his people. During a "dog and pony" walk through, I saw him slow down three times and fix three problems on the spot. He was unashamed that he gave non-standard, out-of-the-box solutions right in front of us "representatives from BIG NAVY." I believe he would have bit someone's ass if they had let the system fail. There is no playing games here. I saw no Mickey Mouse crap.

American flags are proudly displayed in the patient treatment areas. There were paintings of angels enveloping soldiers and motivational stuff. Their un-official motto was spray painted on the barriers... "NO EXCUSES!" I left the compound on the first day with my back a little straighter. I searched my mind and my experience for new and better ways to support these American sons and daughters.

It was 111oF and I drank my weight in water today. Let me tell you, this stuff is a young person's game.

"Out here."
TRCNAK

Stay safe buddy and thanks for bringing us the news that never seems to make it to the screens in our living rooms or computer monitors. Maybe next time I can join you "out here" provided there is a job for this now desk jockey former door kicker.

No comments: