July 4, 2007

The Fourth of July

If you really want to know what the Fourth of July is all about stop by and read this post by The Online Chaplin.

An excerprt:
In forty-four years no one has ever oppressed me. There have been no invading armies. There has been no threat on my life. I have had the freedom to come and go as I please. I have chosen my career and made all major decisions in my life without coercion. I elect my leaders, whereas half of the planet’s leaders have become so by force. Soon, I will be able to get in my car and drive to either of my nation’s seashores. There would be no checkpoints and no armed guards to question my travel. All of this I enjoy, although I have not paid for it. It is the product of a developing ideology called democracy that has produced a nation where no one person, group or entity is able to suppress another.

Go and read the rest...

No comments: