September 1, 2007

Looking Out For One Another

Friend of and contributor to this blog, Robert Stokely sends this request via email.

I have a request.

I don't know this soldier or his family, just heard about him through a trusted friend. His parents, as you might expect, are worried about him. This soldier has been serving in Iraq since October and his parents have not seen him in that time.

As a parent who had a son in Iraq I can tell you it is a worry that chews at you for our primary urgency as parents is to "protect and provide". Having a child in a war zone totatlly denies you the ability to do either. While it is a given this soldier would appreciate a card, letter or care package from home, no doubt, when he tells his family that someone they don't know cared enough to send him something, it will be a great lift for him, and especally for the parents.

I know, for it was always a great moment when my "boy" would ask "do you know ???" and then excitedly tell me what they sent (which even a local community magazine from someone in our community was a big hit". Even more so, when my "boy's" things came home from Iraq after he was killed, it was a comfort to read some of the letters from people who did not know him or us, but who cared enough and took time to send him a note, or a package. My "boy" always shared what he got with fellow soldiers, especially those who didn't get packages and I am sure this soldier will as well, for they look out for one another over there.

1Lt. James R. Peacock
(Removed for OPSEC)
Please send him a card or a care package... [and don't worry if you send something he might not like - he will appreciate it just as much and can probably trade it with a buddy like the old lunch room days]

Robert Stokely
proud dad SGT Mike Stokely
KIA 16 AUG 05 near Yusufiyah in the Triangle of Death south of Baghdad
USA E Troop 108 CAV 48th BCT GA NATL GUARD


How can one refuse a request like that...of course I'll send him something, I have a box of stuff here I've been collecting to send off to anyone who needed it. Seems someone has found a need.

If you are reading this and would like to send 1LT Peacock something, a card, letter or care package, please let me know and I'll send you his mailing address.

No comments: