April 2, 2008

From the Front: 04/02/2008

News and Personal dispatches from the front lines.

In their own words:
HELLO IRAQ: SSgt Matt Maupin - Homeward Bound at Last - In May of 2005, I wrote a poem about, then MIA/POW, Matt Maupin. Today I want to share another poem I wrote since word of Matt Maupin’s recovery was announced March 30, 2009. A Star-Telegram.com story, reported on March 30, 2009, “Remains found in Iraq identified as Ohio soldier listed as captured and missing since 2004″ states that SSgt Matt Maupin’s remains have been found! The military used DNA tests that confirmed SSgt Maupin’s remains were finally found and Matt finally would be returning home to his family. Matt’s family never gave up their battle to make sure the military did not forget to bring their son home. They never gave up hope Matt would return home alive. But even though Matt will not return home alive and well, at least he “will” return home instead of remaining MIA as happened to so many American soldiers who served in Vietnam” (READ MORE)

Yellowhammering Afghanistan: Missing the mark - I hate to say the Taliban are terrible shots when it comes to mortars and rockets because as soon as I do, they're going to get lucky and hit somebody. But, the truth is they are terrible shots. They are like me on a golf course: If you're standing where I'm aiming, you're at the safest place on the planet. To give you an idea, when we were recently in Andar doing the humanitarian assistance visit, there were apparently a couple of rockets trying to disrupt the proceedings. I say "apparently" because they were so far off the mark, I didn't even hear the explosions. It was only a couple of hours later that I even learned that they had "attacked." While we were at a shura in Deh Yak a few months ago, the bad guys fired some mortars and barely missed, if by "barely" you mean being off BY 1,000 METERS!! (READ MORE)

Kaboom: A Soldier's War Journal: Sadr's Six Day Spring Jam - Day 1: The Gravediggers and I are out in sector conducting security sweeps of a route my soldiers now refer to as IED Alley. A net call from CPT Whiteback informs us that Muqtadah al-Sadr has lifted the freeze of attacks on Coalition Forces for his ever-loyal lackey militia, Jaish al-Mahdi. Half of my men say fuck. Half of my men say fuck yeah. We spend the day patrolling the Shi’a havens of Anu al-Verona, but all is normal until the moon relieves the sun for guard duty. Inattentive, lazy bastard, that moon. Night 1: The rhythmic purring of distant automatic fire stirs me out of a sleep an hour after I collapsed into it. A second passes, and then my entire room shakes with inevitability while a M240B machine gun on the roof of the combat outpost returns fire directly above us. I roll out of my bed, getting my legs wrapped up in my poncho liner, and land gracelessly onto my face. SSG Bulldog barrels through our door like a runaway freight train. “It on now, oh yeah, it be on now!” he booms. (READ MORE)

LT Nixon: Iraq News (2 April) - The Good: The Iraqi-led operation in Basra continues with the Mahdi Army stepping aside. Sounds like the Iraqi Security Forces wants control of the port facilities, which is the lifeline of the economy and supposedly run by the Fadhila party. Of course, the Prime Minister called the whole operation a rousing success, but most others remain skeptical. Shell is still interested in investing in Iraqi oil infrastructure. The Bad: Predictably, Iraqi deaths climbed for the month of March due to the recent violence, as did US casualties. While, the death toll is still heinous and tragic, it's nothing like it was one year ago, where dozens of bodies were found daily in Baghdad as a result of sectarian strife. (READ MORE)

LT Nixon: Quds Force Behind the Ceasefire - The Iranian Quds Force (labeled a terrorist organization by the US) was behind the Muqtada al-Sadr ceasefire which halted much of the violence in Basra, Baghdad, and much of southern Iraq. The Iranian foreign minister also called for an end to the bloodshed on March 29th when things were chaotic. The Tank has a writeup questioning what the ruling Iraqis ceded to Iran in doing this, and I'm certainly rattling my brain trying to figure it out as well. Iranian influence is responsible for the Hezbollah-style training of proxy militias in Iraq and it is also behind the most lethal roadside bombs, EFPs. However, Iran probably doesn't want to see inra-Shi'ite violence in Basrah, since it will cut off a large portion of their revenue stream. (READ MORE)

Michael Yon: Holy Brothel - On March 2, an American Special Forces team along with Iraqi SWAT (ISWAT) moved on a terrorist cell near Tal Afar. There was specific intelligence that this cell had conducted assassinations and other attacks against Iraqis and Americans. As ISWAT and Special Forces closed in on the target, the enemy answered with bullets. Bullets ripped through an ISWAT truck, killing three police. Bullets struck a Special Forces vehicle and a tight firefight followed. The enemy was well prepared. Muzzles flashed from different locations. The fighting continued until nine enemy were killed and eight suspects captured. Three civilians were wounded along with three police wounded and three killed, for a total of a dozen people killed. (READ MORE)

Tina Susman: For a change, a happy ending - You've read about him here before. We also reported on his frightening abduction last month as fighting raged between Shiite militiamen and Iraqi and U.S. forces in Basra and Baghdad. At the time, it seemed that Tahseen Sheikhly, a well-known spokesman for the Iraqi government, might become a high-profile victim of the violence. Police said gunmen burst into Sheikhly's home in Baghdad, shot at least one of his guards, and vanished with Sheikhly, who for the past year has been the civilian spokesman for the Baghdad security plan imposed in early 2007 to quell unrest in the capital. (READ MORE)

Ned Parker: Sadr and America - In Shiite cleric Muqtada Sadr's office in Sadr City on Monday, Sheik Salman Freiji, dressed in a gray tunic, a white turban and black robes, sketched out the Sadrists' view of last week's fighting, which the organization saw as a defeat of Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri Maliki's government. In a charitable assessment, Sadr's militia had fought the U.S.-trained Iraqi army and police to a standstill. Others would argue they had bested the Iraqi forces. The outcome raised serious questions about the capabilities and motivations of Iraq's security forces, which have long struggled with intimidation or even links to various political parties, including Sadr's. It also left the United States once more painted as the villain by the Sadrists although the offensive is widely thought to have been the brainchild of Maliki and his inner circle of advisors. The Sadrists made clear that this latest chapter would be used against the U.S. forces in Iraq. (READ MORE)

Toy Soldier: The Day Of Fools - So, the title has more to do with it being April 1st, that it has to do with relating to a prank. Yay, happy April Fools day another month gone, another month looming ahead. The more things change, the more they stay the same, Work, Work, Work, Refit, Work, the cycle never ends. I'm so tired right now, studying, commo repair, weapons repair, patrols, jcop, I can't wait for when we hand over this place. Anyways, we dropped off another 120lbs of school supplies to the school, hopefully I can get some pictures posted. I know I promised scanned versions of the pictures that the kids drew, but my scanner keeps flipping me off and ignoring my commands, I personally think it's perfect for becoming an Iraqi Police man. (READ MORE)

That Krazy Korean: Kuwait - It is official. I am no longer in Iraq (and it's not an April Fool's joke either). After what was probably the worst C-130 flight in history, our group made it safely to Kuwait the other night. We are now in a staging area waiting for a scheduled plane to take us home. The computer access at the basecamp so distant from the battle is slow at best, but it does allow me to send a note here or there to the folks back home to tell them that I am still alive. Being out of the IZ is a big relief. Although I'm still in the Middle East, I'm not in Iraq, and that is a good thing. (READ MORE)

Mike T: Colors - A long time ago I learned one of the most valuable lessons that the Army had to offer. I had a Squad Leader who took me aside and explained to me no matter what went wrong or how hard things got, "keep the colors close to you at all cost." I looked at him and wondered what exactly he was talking about. He was about to give me the single most important rule that since then I have carried and followed wherever I have been. When he explained himself he said "brother there are going to be times when you have to do things you never thought imaginable, things that would make any man scared for his own life and those of his fellow soldiers, but when it all seems lost and your about to lose your mind that's when the colors become your lifeline." The colors he spoke about were the memories, smells, dreams, music, conversations, and those things that brought you out of the hell you were in and allowed you to focus on what was truly important. (READ MORE)

David Axe: Where Were the Brits? - After a week of heavy fighting between the Iraqi Army and Sadrist militias, Basra is quiet again. We know the U.S. Air Force played a big role in the battle, dropping bombs to boost Baghdad’s assault on the city. But where were the roughly 4,000 Brits who operate out of the international airport a few miles from Basra? At first it looked like the Brits would offer up only air, intel and logistics support, according to some reports: “British troops have deployed outside their base on the edge of Basra in support of the Iraqi operations, British military spokesman Major Tom Holloway said on Sunday. “There are no plans for our troops to enter the city. We are providing other forms of support,” he told Agence France-Presse. This includes air support and surveillance as well as logistical back-up including refueling helicopters and supplying ammunition and medical supplies.” (READ MORE)

War-junkie: I've Been Away For Awhile - I've been away for awhile from writing. I have not had the time to write the way I would like. Things here in Iraq have picked up quite abit. The Fob is peppered daily by indirect fire, AQI have resurfaced with a vengeance and the Mahdi has decided that it is a good time to begin killing everybody again. I wrote about this before and I quoted a local Iraqi who said "Do not be fooled by the calm. The fire is beneath the ash". I now see what he meant. The rise in violence is no surprise. Once again we are attacking the problem in the wrong direction. The surge is over and we have had to spread out once again. We are covering too much ground for our numbers. This would not be a problem if the ISV/SOI (local militia) were doing their jobs but someone told them that their program will soon be cut. So what will the ex Mujahedeen militants do when the American money stops? Well I'll give you a hint they are being detained in droves for making alliances with the AQI and local thug gangs. (READ MORE)

Michael J. Totten: The Liberation of Karmah, Part II - KARMAH, IRAQ — The small city of Karmah sits between Fallujah and Baghdad, two Iraqi cities that have suffered more insurgent and terrorist violence than most. Karmah, however, was more hard-hit than either. It’s right on the bleeding edge of Anbar Province where the outskirts of Baghdad taper away. Unlike Fallujah, it has no hard perimeter to defend, nor was it considered a top priority for counterinsurgency operations. Surge forces in Baghdad drove Al Qaeda in Iraq members out of the capital’s neighborhoods and straight into Karmah during most of 2007. Al Qaeda in Iraq did in Karmah what they have done everywhere else – intimidated and murdered civilians into submission. They decapitated police officers and placed severed heads all over the city. They destroyed the homes of anyone who opposed them. The message was clear: This is what will happen to you if you work with the Americans. (READ MORE)

In-Iraq: One-of-a-kind bomb field - Indiana soldiers mapping out the IEDs they found. The soldiers rolled slowly down the gravel lane, “There’s one,” a soldier yelled from his turret, “Where was it?” The one in the back seat said, craning his neck back into the darkness. On a real convoy, they might not have had time for that conversation. They both might have blown up. By now the public knows that Improvised Explosive Devices are the number one killer of GIs in theater. But what many don’t understand is how frequently insurgents change their tactics, whether it be using a new bomb, a new manner of detonation, or concealment. (READ MORE)

Toby Nunn: Cat's out the Bag - I have been trying to write this post off and on all day but keep getting interrupted or the server goes down and it has become so frustrating. Oh do I long for the time when I simply press on my mozilla icon and the web is there. I was able to open my inbox earlier to get warnings from my administrator about the excessive mail and I am feeling over whelmed we were not sure what to think about the show since it is our lives. I am extremely proud of it but I was apprehensive for the wife to see it and perhaps worry more than she already does. That was not the intent but looking at the responses so far everything is very positive and I wish I had time to answer them all but it will take me quite some time to do that but look forward to me sharing some with you over the next couple of weeks. I am glad that people like the show and I hope to put out another book telling even more about Bad Voo Doo Platoon. This will come soon if we get some of the things worked out. (READ MORE)



Back Stateside but still writing:
Jason's Iraq Vacation: Homecoming - After a very short stay at Fort Riley, I have arrived back home to my family. I have to give some major credit to the folks doing the out-processing at Riley - they had us out of there in under 3 days. That includes turning in all of our equipment, processing all of our release from active duty paperwork, and giving all of the mandatory briefings. We didn't sleep much or get to go anywhere, but we were back to our families really quick - I'll take that trade any day of the week! Rachael and my parents met me right off the plane in Philly, and it was great to see them. I don't think words can express the relief and happiness I had when i saw them. (READ MORE)


News from the Front:
Iraq:

My Generation - Everything was all right after the American invasion in April 9, 2003. I was a student in the final year of high school, reading literature. Just two months later we had to resume our final examinations, so we did them in very miserable conditions, but at the same time people were still living the ecstasy of freedom. As a young man just set free from the obligatory military service, I was thinking that nothing would stop me. I would do my best to get good grades so that I could make sure I continued my studies in my favorite field which was English Language. I got very good test results, which meant I would go to college. The dream started. I had been fond of English language since my childhood, so now I had the chance to study English under the coalition forces’ care. Or so I thought! (READ MORE)

The First Day - Since the invasion, I haven’t left Iraq for more than a month. So I can say that I have seen it all. And I can still remember the day when the American troops reached Baghdad. I remember it just like if it was yesterday. I’m 42, from an educated family. I myself have a Ph.D. in art. I am a sculptor. During all my life, I and my family didn’t have anything to do with the government. We knew that there is a thin red line between us and the government; if we don’t cross it or get near it, then we are fine. I live now in the family home in western Baghdad. I have three brothers; two live with me and the third lives in Saidiya, in southwest Baghdad. It used to take me no more than 10 minutes to get to Saidiya, it is not that far. When the war started, we figured that if the American troops reached Baghdad, it was going to be from the southwest, from Saidiya, along the airport road. (READ MORE)

15 caches, IED factory discovered in northern Iraq - TIKRIT, Iraq – Iraqi Army and Coalition force Soldiers discovered 15 weapons caches and an improvised explosive device factory in northern Iraq April 1. The weapons and ammunition discovered included one 155mm and three 120mm rounds, one 122mm Illumination round, 14 107mm rockets, 58 82mm and 12 60mm mortars, along with other small-arms munitions. (READ MORE)

Iraqi Army Soldiers, U.S. Special Forces conduct combined operation in Makhiat - BAGHDAD – In the village of Makhiat, near Mosul, 2nd Iraqi Army Division Soldiers, advised by U.S. Special Forces, detained four suspected al-Qaeda in Iraq terrorists. These AQI are suspected of violent acts against civilians, Iraqi Security Forces and Coalition forces including kidnapping, torture and murder of innocent Iraqi civilians. They are also suspected of suicide and improvised explosive attacks against Iraqi and Coalition forces as well as video recording violent attacks for AQI propaganda. (READ MORE)

Iraqi Special Operations Forces kill 14 criminals in Basra - BALAD, Iraq – Iraqi Special Operation Forces, advised by U.S. Special Forces, killed 14 criminals March 31. The operation was directed by senior Iraqi leaders in the port city of Basra. The ISOF planned and conducted the mission to capture and arrest the criminals in an abandoned school. According to recent intelligence information, these criminals planted improvised explosive devices along the roads leading to the school. (READ MORE)

Iraqi Security Forces, detain two suspects in separate operations (Balad) - BAGHDAD – Iraqi Security Forces, advised by U.S. Special Forces, detained two suspected insurgents during separate operations April 1. In Balad, Iraqi Special Operations Forces detained one suspected improvised explosive device cell leader who is reported to be responsible for IED and indirect fire attacks against Logistics Support Area Anaconda. (READ MORE)

8 Sons of Iraq killed, 3 wounded in Ninewah Province - TIKRIT, Iraq – Eight Abna al-Iraq, or Sons of Iraq, were killed and three were wounded in an improvised explosive device detonation in southern Ninewah April 1. The detonation occurred while the SOI members were transporting the IED to a nearby joint combat outpost for destruction. Coalition forces provided medical support and the wounded were taken to a CF medical facility for treatment. (READ MORE)

SOI prevent suicide attack - TIKRIT, Iraq – Members of the Sons of Iraq, or Abna al-Iraq, engaged a suicide bomber before he could detonate his explosive device in Kirkuk Province April 1. Iraqi Police and members of the SOI engaged a man wearing a suicide vest on Market Street in Hawijah, preventing any casualties. The SOI are an armed neighborhood watch group in Kirkuk and are part of the Isnad, meaning “unity” in Arabic, movement. (READ MORE)

Iraqi Army Leads Push to Restore Security in Mahmudiyah - BAGHDAD — Iraqi Security Forces are taking the lead in securing the city of Mahmudiyah against criminals. Iraqi Army soldiers from 2nd Battalion, 25th Brigade, 6th IA Division are securing the city’s neighborhoods with support from Red Knight Rakkasans of 3rd Battalion, 320th Field Artillery, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault). This effort, which began March 27, has already proven successful. A cordon and search resulted in the discovery of a significant weapons cache in the Qadasiya Apartments March 28. (READ MORE)

Fallen Soldier’s Family Continues Mission of Love for Iraqi Children - PATROL BASE YUSIFIYAH — Whoever said violence begets more violence never met the family of Sgt. Nathan Barnes. American Fork, Utah, native Sgt. Nathan Barnes, a Soldier with 4th Battalion, 31st Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division, was killed in Rushdi Mullah, Iraq, when his unit came under attack by small-arms fire July 17. Rather than hold bitterness toward the people of a foreign land where their son died, Barnes’ family is embracing them. Barnes often sent home photos of children in the areas he served. His father, Kevin, said Nathan truly loved the Iraqi children. (READ MORE)


Afghanistan:
Army cooks provide a taste of home during deployments - FORWARD OPERATING BASE SHARANA, Afghanistan- Army cooks from Task Force Pacemaker are providing their own unique touch and a taste of home with each hot meal they serve to Soldiers throughout Regional Command-East, Afghanistan. The Task Force Pacemaker Headquarters Support Company cooks, deployed from Fort Lewis, Wash., work throughout RC-East, often in remote areas for extended durations. Not only providing meals to forward operating bases where there is no other support, they serve Soldiers homemade-style meals here. (READ MORE)

JLC brings EagleCash to remote troops in Afghanistan - The Joint Logistics Command is working closely with U.S. Army Finance Command to bring EagleCash kiosks to remote forward operating bases throughout Regional Command-East. The 28th Financial Management Company, the 502nd Human Resources Company and the 101st Financial Management Support Operations Office crafted an agreement that will allow postal clerks at outlying FOBs such as Orgun-E, Ghazni and Herat to maintain the machines and manage the transactions at EagleCash kiosks. (READ MORE)

No comments: