October 14, 2008

From the Front: 10/14/2008

News and Personal dispatches from the front and the home front.

In their own words:
3rd MAW: Fightin’ Fox Marines familiarize themselves with new battle space - AL ASAD, Iraq – Reserve Marines and sailors with Company F, 2nd Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment officially took over external security operations around Al Asad Air Base Sept. 17. The company, which is attached to Security Battalion, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing (Forward), replaced an element of Marine Wing Support Squadron 274, who had supported external security operations for the previous seven months. “Internal security operations could best be described as police work,” said Capt. Darren Wallace, a platoon commander with Company F. “(External security operations) would be considered more of a kind of border security.” The Albany, N.Y.-based unit conducted three months of pre-deployment training at Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms, Calif., prior to heading to Iraq. (READ MORE)

Scott Kesterson: Afghanistan redux, Part 2 - I carry a lot of gear. Traveling internationally on commercial flights through both Delhi and Kabul makes you think carefully about what you will check and what you will carry on board. My checked baggage included by backpack with all of my clothes, my tripod and by body armor.I had three bags, one of which was of over the 50 pound “free” weight limit. Thanks to a Delta employee in Fayetteville, NC on my way home during a trip in August, I learned of a special category that airlines offer for journalists. It offers consideration and reduction in fees since we tend to carry more gear than the average traveler. Continental’s journalist category kept my extra bag fee and extra weight fee to a total of $75.00. I paid and headed to the pre-boarding security check. My evaluation of the risks of what to check and what to carry-on led me to check everything that I could essentially live without if it got lost. That included clothing items, and even my body armor. (READ MORE)

Scott Kesterson: Afghanistan redux, Part 3 - Newark International and Continental Airlines are said to be one of the best coordinated terminals for international travel in the United States. From my experience, I would have to agree. Arriving at a gate that was only fifty feet from my outgoing flight, with a large food court and comfortable seating, made the four hour layover pass effortlessly. Delhi, however, was a different story. The flight from Newark to Delhi was about eleven hours. I had stayed up the night before finalizing packing and had slept only part of the the flight from Portland. That allowed me to sleep most of the way to Delhi. The flight was uneventful, as we landed with a soft touch down and taxied to our gate. The rules of India do not require passengers to hold an Indian Visa if their final destination is another country with a connecting flight at the same airport. That seemed simple enough. We exited, descending the stairs to the customs area as I queued up in line for my customs check. (READ MORE)

Scott Kesterson: Afghanistan redux, part 4 - From the windows of the India Airlines Airbus A320 the barren dusty hills surrounding Kabul came into view. As I watched, the brown haze that I remembered from my last trip blocked a clear vista of the city. Kabul is a dirty city; Afghanistan a dry and unforgiving land that some how finds a kinship within your soul. It is a country that grows on you, offering its strange if not desolate beauty, amongst the war, the poverty, and its ancient ways, to every traveler that crosses its lands. What develops is a relationship of extremes, the proverbial love and hate, as if to emulate the culture of war that has found refuge for so many years within its borders. In an odd sense, I felt like I had returned to visit an old friend. People and faces speak an unspoken language. The two Americans, husband and wife, I had met during my layover in Delhi were now sitting in the seats across from me. (READ MORE)

Scott Kesterson: Afghanistan redux, part 5 - Kabul is a safe city. Our media reports tend to highlight the incidents of IEDs or the like, but those events are more the exception than the rule. Kabul is also the center for NATO / ISAF command. Our allies have sold this war as a peace keeping or policing action to their respective public. As a result, NATO / ISAF goes to great lengths to over ensure safety, even in the city like Kabul. The US now falls under NATO/ ISAF command so for me that meant that the rules imposed on the US military were so strict that it was nearly impossible for them to guarantee a military pickup from the airport. I knew this before I came and therefore arranged to be picked up by an interpreter that had worked for a close friend of mine who was also a Major in the US Army National Guard. With my bags now successfully moved from the customs point to the parking area, the two men I had hired waited. I used their phone and called my ride. He was on his way. (READ MORE)

Michael Yon: The Road to Hell - Since leaving the British embed, I’ve gone unilateral. I flew back and forth between Kandahar and Lashkar Gah, drove around and talked with people down south, then flew up to Kabul. In Kabul, I met Tim Lynch and Shem Klimiuk (a retired USMC and ex-Aussie paratrooper, respectively), and we drove in an unarmored truck east to Jalalabad. The canyon-filled drive would be dangerous even if there was no war, but there is a war – a rapidly growing one — and Tim pointed out burnt spots on the road where ambushes had occurred. I was unarmed, and counting on the military experience of my two guides as well as their combined seven years experience in Afghanistan. In the weeks that I would spend with Tim and Shem, we drove more than a thousand miles up and down Afghan roads without the slightest drama, except that Tim scares me with his driving. If you are rich and want the adventure of a lifetime, contact Tim Lynch. (READ MORE)

Brad's Excellent Adventure: Life at Camp As Sayliyah - Friday 10 October 2008 1400 - I know my family and friends are wondering what it’s like here, and since I’ve been here nearly two weeks I am beginning to get enough of a picture to describe the place that will be my home for the next year plus. Despite all my griping about the crummy internet access, this is a nice post, and will be a good assignment. As the post commander said in our newcomer’s briefing, “If you are going to be stationed in the AOR, this is the place to be.” It’s a good deal. First of all, the base seems to be run better than Camp Arifjan, where I spent the past two years. This could be due to a lot of factors – I don’t know for sure why it is and wouldn’t want to speculate here. But it presents a much more military appearance – things are much more uniform, squared away, and in better shape overall. It is a much smaller post (perhaps ¼ the size), so it didn’t take too long to learn where things were. (READ MORE)

Collabman's Thoughts: Written in Red - Evening…Over the last few weeks I have been thinking a lot about our warriors and the emotions that will be flowing as they climb the staircase and board an airplane in Kuwait - an airplane that will take them home to Germany. These men and women have looked forward to this day with great anticipation and excitement for quite some time now. I have too. They are finally, headed home and out of harm’s way…but I think there will be more going on here than meets the eye. I have to wonder… What thoughts will run through their minds as they grab the handrail and begin to climb the steps? How will they handle the emotional pain of knowing that some of their buddies - men they laughed, trained and cried with throughout their service with the 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment - won’t be coming home with them? What will they think as they remember their fallen angels on the long flight home? Like it or not…this is a story of a combat deployment for the 2nd SCR that has been written in red. (READ MORE)

Lt. Col. Paul Fanning: Congressional visitors - Four members of the U.S. House of Representatives came to Camp Phoenix in Kabul on Sunday as part of an official congressional visit to Afghanistan. The delegation was led by Congressman Steve Israel (NY 2nd District) from Long Island and included Congresswoman Shelly Berkley (NV 1st District) and two more New Yorkers, including Congressman Michael Arcuri (NY 24th District) from Utica and Congressman Thomas Reynolds (NY 26th District) from Williamsville. Congressman Israel serves on the House Appropriations Committee, Congressman Arcuri serves on the House Rules and Transportation and Infrastructure committees and Congressman Reynolds serves on the House Ways and Means Committee. (READ MORE)

Fearless 1st Marines’ blog: ‘Hell in a Helmet’ relieves ‘The Walking Dead’; begin seven month deployment in Ramadi - RAMADI, Iraq (Oct. 9, 2008) – With the mayor of Ramadi on-hand, along with several of Ramadi, Iraq’s, tribal and civic leaders, 2nd Battalion, 9th Marine Regiment, Regimental Combat Team 1, relieved 1st Bn., 9th Marines, RCT-1, of their responsibilities in the Ramadi-area during a ceremony Oct. 9. The ceremony was held at an Iraqi police station in front of Ramadi’s most important leaders as a display of commitment towards continuing a relationship that Marines and Sailors of ‘The Walking Dead’ battalion worked continuously to establish throughout their deployment. “It’s important to symbolize the Marines’ relationship with the Iraqis,” said Lt. Col. Thad R. Trapp, commanding officer, 2nd Bn., 9th Marines. During the ceremony, Lt. Col. Brett Bourne, commanding officer, 1st Bn., 9th Marines, passed on to Trapp a plaque given to his battalion by Lt. Col. Saleh Mahde Saliah al Alali, the Iraqi District Chief of Police for Ramadi. (READ MORE)

Jake's Life: Done - Just thought I'd let all my family and friends know that I am done with my tour in Afghanistan. I'm currently sitting around a camp that feels like its the safest place on earth, impatiently waiting for my flight back to the States. I want to thank everyone for all the support that you have given myself and my teammates in the past few months, all the packages and emails (most of which I am just now reading) are sincerely appreciated. Not exactly sure when I will actually reach the States, but I am hoping that it is in time to attend a Wisconsin football game. I need to find a flight and a ticket, but I'm not sure the latter will be hard with the way they have decided to play this year... (READ MORE)

June Cleaver After A Six-Pack: America Owns Him... I Wouldn't Have It Any Other Way - I had to go on Base today. There was a rotator going out and I wanted to put a package on board for my husband. Another group of men and women were heading overseas... leaving loved ones to do what they are called to do. Now that Carl is gone, I don't like going onto Base. I go when I need to make a large commissary run or when one of the kids needs to go to the clinic, but other then that, I avoid the Base like the plague. It is not because I don't like the Base-I actually love it-it is because my heart breaks each time I pass through the gates. The Base represents my husband. My husband represents the Base. All of the men and women in uniform are a part of my husband. They share his love for this Great Nation. My heart aches for my husband when I am on Base. (READ MORE)

Bill Roggio: ISAF repels attacks in Helmand, launches strike into Pakistan - US, British, and Afghan forces defeated two Taliban attacks in eastern and southern Afghanistan on Sunday. Seventy Taliban were killed during the two engagements. Five were killed as they attempted to attack from inside Pakistan. In eastern Afghanistan, US forces launched two separate artillery strikes into Pakistan after Taliban mortar teams attempted to hit a US outpost inside Afghanistan. The outpost is located in the border district of Barmal in Paktika province, a spokesman for the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) told The Long War Journal. The strikes were launched across the border into North Waziristan. ISAF said the strikes were coordinated with the Pakistani military. US forces launched the first artillery strike after three Taliban were seen setting up a mortar tube. Pakistani forces confirmed two Taliban were killed. An hour later, a Taliban mortar team was seen setting up to hit a Pakistan Border Point. (READ MORE)

Playing in the Sandbox: Coined - Well, my days of controlling the near future of Iraqi prisoners with a pen and my initials have come to a close. Over the two weeks I worked I met nearly 200 people ranging from around 18 years old (and looking it) to nearly 70 (and looking like they should have died years ago). If you believe their at times elaborate stories, nearly all of them were farmers or taxi drivers. Some were probably innocent, caught up with the wrong people or just unlucky enough to have a weapons cache buried near their property that they somehow never noticed. Most were probably guilty, at least of something shady. Throughout the review process I relied on instinct as much as evidence. Soldiers are not policemen or forensic crime scene investigators, and so many of the files I saw lacked more than circumstantial evidence. But even when the other two board members recommended a detainee's release, I often wrote down continued internment simply on bad vibes and a feeling. (READ MORE)

Zen Traveller: Iraq Security- The Inverse Relationship - There is a misconception here in Iraq among both security operators and clients alike that as the security situation improves that less security is needed. In actuality it's the exact opposite. In the past mobility around the country for many clients has been severely limited or curtailed due to the overwhelming threat of kidnapping, IEDs, VBIEDs, etc.. Unless clients were accompanied by the U.S. military or a small armada of gunned-up PSDs they were not inclined to venture too far for too often. Now the security environment in Iraq is better, the threat has diminished a bit, albeit there are still bad people doing bad things to clients and their friends. Mobility has increased and as a result clients want to get out of the confines of the safe areas and venture forth to explore and do their jobs. The result is that the security elements are now busier than ever, ensuring the safety and well-being of the clients, coordinating movements, planning logistics, training, and providing close protection. (READ MORE)

Big Tobacco: Queen For A Year - I wrote this while smoking a CAO Brazilia. In a way, I feel sorry for her. Hell, I feel sorry for almost any female who joins the Army and has to deal with guys like us. “Why would a good looking girl, a girl with everything going for her, join the Army?” Sergeant Blackjack asks as we wade through the crowd at the chow hall. “Um, college,” I respond. Sergeant Blackjack glances at me with contempt. I knew it was a bad idea to tag along with him. “You’re a fuckin’ idiot," he says. "Stop talking to me.” But we sit at a table so that we can still look at her. Sergeant Blackjack ogles her. I eat my soup. “She’s at least a nine,” he says. “That’s not even a deployment nine. That’s like a nine in real life.” “She has a tattoo on the back of her neck,” I say. That brings her down to a one or two. His face twists into disgust. “Are you babbling again?” “I’m not a big fan of chicks with tattoos,” I say. “Jewish people don’t tend to get tattoos. (READ MORE)




News from the Front:
Iraq:
Crunch time for the Iraq-U.S. security agreement - BAGHDAD -- The coming few weeks could prove crucial to the fate of a long term Iraq-U.S. security agreement. The deal has stalled for months amid differences between the sides, including real reluctance and outright opposition by some Iraqi officials to the continued presence of American forces in Iraq. (READ MORE)

Christians flee Mosul - New violence this week against Christians in the northern Iraqi city of Mosul has sparked an outcry from the country's religious minority. In the last week, officials said, Christian families have fled the city after coming under attack from Sunni militants. Christians have been targeted in the city along with other sects and ethnic groups since 2003. An estimated 933 Christian families have fled Mosul in the last week, said Jawdat Ismail, director of the ministry of displacement and migration in Nineveh province. (READ MORE)

Iraqi Army Assumes Control of Patrol Base Whiskey - CAMP STRIKER — The Iraqi Army (IA) assumed authority of Patrol Base Whiskey 1 from Coalition forces in Maderiyah, Oct. 4. Company 3, 1st Battalion, 55th Brigade, 17th IA Division assumed responsibility from Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1st Bn., 187th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Div. (Air Assault). (READ MORE)

School Bell Rings: Another Primary School Renovated, Open for Class - BAGHDAD — Local Iraqi officials, Iraqi Army and Multi-National Division – Baghdad Soldiers attended a ceremony to celebrate the opening of the Al Rasheed Primary School in the Mansour District of northwest Baghdad, Oct. 9. The ceremony marked the completion of renovations brought about through the combined efforts of members of the Mansour District Advisory Council, Iraqi security and Coalition forces. (READ MORE)

Iraqis Learn Port of Entry Security on Jordanian Border - COMBAT OUTPOST TREBIL — A small band of Marine Corps warrior-instructors in the barren stretch of desert along the Iraqi-Jordanian border watched their Iraqi pupils graduate from a border police basic skills course, Oct. 7. Assisted by U.S. Customs and Border Patrol officers and Iraqi interpreters, the Marine Corps’ Port of Entry Transition Team (POETT) designed and taught the course to a group of 26 Iraqi officials and police officers responsible for all vehicle traffic and commerce coming into and departing Iraq through the Port of Trebil. (READ MORE)

School’s in Session in Sadr City - BAGHDAD — “I think education is the greatest weapon in the people’s hands,” said Buad Abdul Sadr, the senior engineer in charge of refurbishing the Jawala’la school in Sadr City. Schools are now in session in Sadr City, an area that six months ago was home to some of the fiercest fighting here. The rooms that children now fill at this school in northeastern Baghdad were once home to militia fighters who would daily launch attacks against the government of Iraq, Iraqi security and Coalition forces. (READ MORE)

‘Friendhip City’ Kicks Off Partnership - RAWAH — Children at the Al Moaine elementary school scampered down to the entrance to meet the Marines who were visiting to drop off special gifts. They followed the cardboard boxes with their eyes entranced as Marines unloaded them into the schoolyard. Marines with Fox Company, Task Force 2nd Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment, Regimental Combat Team 5 dropped off the first donation sent to the children by citizens of Towamencin, Pa., which is the "Friendship City" for Rawah. (READ MORE)

Two terrorists killed, 13 suspects detained by Coalition forces - BAGHDAD – Two terrorists were killed and 13 suspects were detained by Coalition forces targeting al-Qaeda in Iraq operatives in northern and central Iraq Monday and Tuesday. In Chaft al Asha, about 96 km southeast of Kirkuk, two terrorist were killed and three suspects were detained Tuesday during an operation targeting a wanted man believed to have connections to area AQI leadership and improvised explosive device operations. (READ MORE)

Iraqi air force village construction project takes shape - KIRKUK REGIONAL AIR BASE, Iraq – The largest U.S.–managed construction project for the Iraqi Air Force has made major progress here, despite many challenges. When complete, the $30 million multi-purpose Flight Training Wing Complex will consist of 24 K-span buildings and one mortar-and-brick facility. The project will include nine dormitories with 669 bed spaces, along with classrooms, office space, and aircraft flight-line facilities. (READ MORE)

Tip leads MND-B Soldiers to weapons cache - BAGHDAD – An Iraqi citizen’s tip led Multi-National Division – Baghdad Soldiers to a weapons cache in the Baghdad area Oct. 13. At approximately 11:30 a.m., Soldiers serving with Company C, 2nd Battalion, 30th Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division, found 12 explosively-formed penetrators of various sizes, two PKCs with spare barrels, an AK-47 and 200 armor piercing rounds in an abandoned house in the New Baghdad district of Baghdad. (READ MORE)

Provincial, national leaders discuss Christians in Mosul - MOSUL, Iraq- A special Government of Iraq envoy from Baghdad and the Ninewa Operations Center commander met with local Christian leaders in the two Christian neighborhoods of Mosul, Bartolla and Hamdaniyah Oct 13. Maj. Gen. Alaa of the Ministry of Defense participated in open forum meetings with local citizens and civic leadership to address the recent reports of attacks on Christians on Mosul. (READ MORE)

Provincial Governor of Ninewa meets ministerial reps. - MOSUL, Iraq —The Provincial Governor for Ninewa Province, Durayd Kashmoula, met with ministerial representatives from Baghdad at Provincial Hall in Mosul, Iraq, Oct. 13, to discuss restoration of basic services for the citizens of Mosul and potential reconstruction projects to improve city infrastructure. Ministerial representatives from the Ministry of Finance, Planning, Horticulture, Oil, Agriculture, Services Committee, Communications and Construction and Residence met with their provincial counterparts in order to discuss and prioritize construction or reconstruction projects for the city of Mosul. (READ MORE)

First class of Iraqi Air Force pilots graduate - KIRKUK, Iraq - The first class of Iraqi Air Force student pilots were awarded their flying wings as part of a graduation ceremony here, Oct. 13. Nearly a year after the three trainees, Iraqi 2nd Lieutenants Hassan, Majid and Habeeb, entered the program, the success of the joint Iraqi Flying Training Wing and 52nd Expeditionary Flight Training Squadron came to a pivotal point in building a credible objective air force capable of conducting sustained operations in defense of the country. (READ MORE)

Iraqi judges review Kirkuk’s justice system - Kirkuk, Iraq –The Kirkuk Criminal Justice Counsel met for the third time at the Iraq Police Academy of Kirkuk City to discuss standards for detainees and investigations, Oct 12. The Counsel consists of Iraqi police and judicial leadership from Kirkuk Province. (READ MORE)


Afghanistan:
One militant killed, two detained in Coalition forces operations - BAGRAM AIRFIELD, Afghanistan (Oct. 9, 2008) – Coalition forces conducted operations in Khost and Ghazni provinces, killing one militant and detaining two suspected militants, while targeting the Haqqani and al-Qaeda terrorist networks, Wednesday. In Khost, Coalition forces targeted a known Haqqani militant believed to be in direct contact with senior Haqqani leaders and to coordinate and direct terrorist activities. Two suspected militants were detained. (READ MORE)

NDS, Coalition forces capture a Taliban commander, three others in Kandahar - BAGRAM AIR FIELD, Afghanistan (Oct. 7, 2008) – Members of the National Directorate of Security and Coalition forces captured a Taliban commander and three additional persons of interest in Kandahar, Oct. 5. Hafiz Abdul Khaliq, a known Taliban commander, and three militants were located through intelligence reports in known safehouses in Panjwayi District. (READ MORE)

Combined forces kill 43 militants in Zabul province - BAGRAM AIR FIELD, Afghanistan (Oct. 7, 2008) – Afghan National Security Forces and Coalition forces killed 43 militants in Qalat District, Zabul province, Oct. 5. ANSF and Coalition forces on a patrol received heavy weapons, machine gun and sniper fire from militants in multiple locations. The combined forces responded with small arms and RPG fire as well as close air support, killing the militants. (READ MORE)

Coalition Forces target Taliban, militant networks in eastern Afghanistan - BAGRAM AIRFIELD, Afghanistan – Coalition forces killed five militants during two operations targeting al-Qaeda and Taliban terrorist networks in eastern Afghanistan, Friday. Coalition forces targeted a Taliban sub-commander in Andar district who is known to plan and coordinate improvised explosive device attacks in Ghazni province. He is also wanted for facilitating the movement of foreign fighters into Afghanistan. (READ MORE)

Militant attack kills one civilian, wounds four - BAGRAM AIR FIELD, Afghanistan (October 3, 2008) – One civilian was killed and four others wounded in the village of Matin in Pech District, Konar province this morning when militants attacked an Afghan National Army patrol and Coalition forces. Militants engaged the joint forces with small-arms fire and rocket-propelled grenades. Not only did they attack the joint patrol, but also the local village and surrounding corn fields as well. (READ MORE)

Pakistanis Kill 10 Taliban - (RTTNews) - Pakistani security forces killed more than 10 Taliban militants Monday in fresh clashes in the troubled northwestern Swat valley, media reports said. The clashes erupted after the security forces launched a search-and-cordon operation in a militant stronghold in Khwazakhela sub-district Monday morning, overcoming stiff resistance, the reports said. (READ MORE)

5 militants killed in Afghanistan clash - KABUL, Afghanistan, October 13, SPA -- The U.S. coalition says its troops have killed five Taliban militants in a raid in Central Afghanistan. A coalition statement Monday says troops targeted a militant involved in the movement of foreign fighters in Andar district of Ghazni province. (READ MORE)

Afghan violence kills 22 - Afghan and foreign troops killed 14 Taliban insurgents and eight civilians died in a string of attacks, Afghan officials and the US military said. One US-led coalition soldier was also killed in a roadside bomb attack on Monday. Violence has surged in Afghanistan, with some 3,800 people - a third of them civilians - killed by the end of July this year, the United Nations said. (READ MORE)

Army translator spied for Iran in Afghanistan, court told - An embittered British army interpreter became a spy for Iran while serving in Afghanistan, a court heard today. The trial at the Old Bailey heard that Daniel James, who was born in Tehran and of Iranian descent, was a Walter Mitty-style fantasist who believed he had been passed over for promotion and been the victim of racism. (READ MORE)

No comments: