November 21, 2008

From the Front: 11/21/2008

News and Personal dispatches from the front and the home front.

In their own words:
Cheese's Millog: I have less than a month left here - ...and I just found out that we are now required to change over from the 27th Brigade patch, the patch that we wear at home and have worn all year, to the CSTC-A (pronounced "see-sticka") patch. I'm not one to get too wrapped up in unit history, so this is more funny to me than anything else. People get all wrapped around the axle about what combat patches will be authorized, etc...I really couldn't care less. Part of this is because I already have an assortment of combat patches (thankfully I don't have to wear the Rainbow patch like everyone else from my first tour...) and the rest is that uniform "bling" never really appealed to me. But why, at this stage of the game, would you have everyone transition to a patch that means nothing to them? The insanity will continue until morale improves... (READ MORE)

Dena Yllescas: Chuggin right along - Well, today started off has a hard one for me. I was feeling really down and emotional. I went to the hospital to see Rob and brought my laptop. I had downloaded a bunch of songs that reminded me of him and I. I also had a slide show playing with all our pictures. I put it on the bedside table in front of him and turned it on. When the songs started playing, tears began to trickle down his cheeks. He never took his eyes off of me. I couldn't help but cry too. You're mourning the past, present, and unknown of the future. I've never loved my husband more than I did at that exact moment. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind or heart that we will get through this-together. Today Rob was a lot more "aware". He's tracking people in the room. When someone comes in, he looks at them. (READ MORE)

Embrace the Suck: It's A Pretty Country Once You Get Past The Smell & The Fact That People Are Trying To Kill You... - Truer words have never been spoken. Pigpen is a sage for this age. So here I sit, within spitting distance of the Pakistani border feeling every bit of the cold as the winter descends on us. Why do I feel every bit of the cold? Because these dick-bags who are commonly referred to as our command cannot seem to get a company's worth of rucksacks across a country that isn't even all that big. None of us have our winter gear. We are sitting here beginning to freeze and what is this bunch of shitbags doing? Making lists. That is how they respond to this. Make a list of what you are missing and the command will take care of it. Really? We have a hard enough time getting water out here and they are going to get us all this shit that we are missing before the winter hits? (READ MORE)

Fobbits need ice cream too: Almost home - Yesterday the new guys finally decided they were rested enough to ride with us. The TC relieving our truck is a 1LT on IRR from Samoa, like the rest of his company. He was pretty chill once I got to know him; he's a DEA agent back home and taught us some Samoan. Tah-low-fah means hello and oooo-fah means fucker. Pretty much all I needed to know. The trip up was pretty uneventful, so we got to show them how a smooth run goes. The trip down was the same and we got in around 0800. Once all the red bulls wore off, I fell asleep around 1100 only to be woken up at 1200 to go layout the truck to inventory all the stuff for the new crew to sign for. ShittyTC threw a hissy fit because no one woke him up to tell him and I had already downloaded my stuff from the truck and was on my way to drive it over to our connex's. (READ MORE)

The Left Captain: Last one? - Is this my final routine mission? I think it might be. I am at a notorious FOB in the wilds of the Hindu Kush, but it has improved since I was here last. These FOBs are getting these great gyms, I think to get Soldiers through the winter. This place isn't that bad actually. I probably won't be busy. Out here it is tough-guy territory, so no one is eager to talk to a psychologist because of how it may look. That's okay with me. I brought many hours of video and four books, and I already mentioned the gym. I have a pretty decent room and a concrete bunker nearby. A funny side-note is that I am staying in the same room that a well-known CBS reporter stayed in while she was here for several weeks-- she signed the wall. Maybe I should sign it too when I leave... (READ MORE)

Bill Roggio: US forces kill al Qaeda in Iraq's leader in eastern Anbar - US forces killed another senior al Qaeda in Iraq leader during counterterrorism raids in Iraq. Hajji Hammadi, an al Qaeda leader in eastern Anbar province, is the fourth senior al Qaeda leader killed in Iraq and neighboring Syria over the past six weeks. Hammadi was killed by the hunter-killer teams of Task Force 88 on Nov. 11. The special operations forces killed Hammadi and an associate after a firefight broke out during an operation to capture him in Baghdad’s Mansour neighborhood. Hammadi, who was also known as Hammadi Awdah Abd Farhan and Abd al Salam Ahmad Abdallah al Janabi, was an Iraqi who was involved with al Qaeda in Iraq since its formation. He had "connections with the country’s legacy al Qaeda leadership," including Abu Musab al Zarqawi and Abu Ayyub al Masri, according to Multinational Forces Iraq. (READ MORE)

Bill Roggio: Pakistan, US coordinate strikes against the Taliban - US and Pakistani forces operating along the porous border between Afghanistan’s Paktika province and the Waziristan tribal areas in Pakistan’s tribal areas coordinated attacks against Taliban forces on Nov. 18. The cooperative effort is the second this week, and signals a renewed effort to stem the flow of Taliban fighters crossing the border is underway. The US military contacted the Pakistani military after a US combat outpost and an Afghan checkpoint came under “artillery fire” from Taliban forces operating across the border in the lawless Waziristan tribal region on Nov. 18. “The Pakistani military then launched a mortar strike on the insurgents’ firing location inside Pakistan,” an International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) press release stated. (READ MORE)

Pink's War: Rest In Peace - Since I've been here I've processed a lot of Red Cross messages. A Red Cross message is pretty much something notifying us that something has happened in a soldier's family. We then run it up through the chain of command and they let the soldier know. Depending on the severity of the circumstances and the relationship to the soldier, the soldier may or may not get sent home for it. This late in the game they get a release from theater so they don't have to come back. I don't know very many people in this unit, so when a Red Cross message comes in, I type it up, e-mail it to everyone in the chain of command and go about my night. Tonight we got one in for a kid that is a really good friend of mine, SPC Carter (OPSEC), he's like a brother to me. All I could say when I seen it is, "Fuck." I grabbed the keys to the truck and was almost out the door when someone that works with him pointed out that I was not following the standard. (READ MORE)

Two Brothers, Two Countries, One Army: Another day in Iraq... - Well helllloooo to all of those that continue to show your support to my brother and I. We can't say enough how much we appreciate everything that is being done for us. Personally, I have gotten so many cards, letters, and packages to mention from people. The other day I got a letter from an 18 year old young lady....that really meant a lot to me. Someone so young would take the time to write and say hello and thank you. It was awesome! Thank you! Another day in Iraq...well here I sit, not much to report. The last 10 -14 days have been plenty exciting enough that I don't need to see or do anything for a little while at least. But you never know when something might happen. There were some things that have happened since then, but you know the phrase, "if I told you, I'd have to kill you..." so that's about as far as i can go with that. (READ MORE)


News from the Front:
Iraq:
Dagger Bde replaces Strike Bde during TOA ceremony (Baghdad) - BAGHDAD – The 2nd Heavy Brigade Combat Team “Dagger,” 1st Infantry Division, Multi-National Division – Baghdad, replaced the 2nd Brigade Combat Team “Strike,” 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), in a transfer of authority ceremony Nov. 20 at the Camp Liberty Field House. The Strike Brigade deployed to Baghdad in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom in October 2007. (READ MORE)

One killed, 3 arrested during ISOF operation in central Iraq (Ad Diwaniyah) - BALAD, Iraq – During an operation Nov. 19 in Ad Diwaniyah, Iraqi Special Operations Forces came under fire from an assailant on site, and returned fire, killing the gunman. Three suspected terrorists were also arrested in the operation. The operation targeted a group of individuals under warrants issued by the Counter-Terrorism Bureau and Counter-Terrorism Center. (READ MORE)

SoI, tip from local citizen lead CF to weapons caches (Samarra) - TIKRIT, Iraq – A Sons of Iraq member led Iraqi Police and Coalition force Soldiers to a large weapons cache at approximately 2:20 p.m. Nov. 19 in Samarra. A local citizen told the SoI about the cache, which contained 158 60 mm mortar rounds and six 155 mm artillery rounds. The tip helped take these deadly munitions out of the hands of terrorists. (READ MORE)

1st Cav Soldiers provide seeds for a better Iraq - CONTINGENCY OPERATING BASE ADDER, Iraq – Coalition forces delivered 100 tons of wheat and barley seeds to farmers in the Dhi Qar province in November. Soldiers of the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division provided the seeds to four tribal shaykhs, who distributed the seeds to 50 farmers throughout the province. (READ MORE)

New bridge to be built in Diyala - DIYALA, Iraq – A groundbreaking ceremony took place in the Diyala province of Iraq Nov. 17 in order to observe the beginning of construction on a new bridge adjacent to the town of Muqdadiyah. Connecting the communities of Jaq Jaq and Muqdadiyah, the bridge will enable local farmers to commerce across a local canal in order to sell their goods in both towns. (READ MORE)

Iraqis Send Aid to California Fire Victims - BESMAYA RANGE COMPLEX — A group of Iraqi Soldiers stepped up to help California residents victimized by recent wildfires raging throughout the state. Iraqi Army Col. Abbas Fadhil, Besmaya Range Complex commander, and his team of "Abbas' Eagles" raised $500 for wildfire relief. (READ MORE)

Rashid Leaders Plan, Prepare for Art and Culture Show - FOB FALCON — For the first time in a generation, an art and culture show will be hosted in the Rashid district of southern Baghdad, Nov. 26. Twenty renowned Iraqi artists, many of them professors at the Baghdad Art Institute, have agreed to participate in the Doura Art and Culture Show, “New Life, New Culture.” (READ MORE)

Iraqis, Coalition Kill Key AQI Leaders - WASHINGTON — Iraqi and Coalition forces have struck a severe blow against al-Qaida in Iraq (AQI), a senior Coalition spokesman in Baghdad said yesterday. Army Brig. Gen. David Perkins, a spokesman for Multi-National Force - Iraq, said one al-Qaida leader killed was responsible for the abduction and murder of Army Staff Sgt. Keith "Matt" Maupin in June 2004. (READ MORE)

New Courthouse Takes Shape, Bolsters Rule of Law in Babil - BABIL — A new regional courthouse is taking shape to help Babil Province enforce the rule of law. The new $7 million facility is scheduled to be complete next spring. “The Iraqi judiciary has a long and proud history going back before the founding of the country itself,” said Mark Robbins, Rule of Law advisor with the Babil Provincial Reconstruction Team. (READ MORE)

No comments: