April 8, 2006

Update on my Injury

Since my last update I've learned a lot about the epidural treatment for back pain, and I'm going to go ahead and have the first of three treatments on Tuesday April 11, 2006. The treatments should help the inflamation of the nerve go down and ease my pain if not take it away completely. Since my goal from the beginning has been to resolve this without surgery, I've found my option. Especially since the doc said I could go back to doing everything I used to...except for squats, that is the one excercise he flatly ruled out...too much pressure on the base of the spine for my spine and discs to handle.

However, the treatment will not cure my herniation, it will still be there and it always will be there. My fear about that was that I might be pain free due to the steriods being pumped into my spinal area but I could be wrecking my back even more and not know it because of the pain inhibiting abilities of the steroids.

The doc assured me that my chances of doing more damage was just as great with the treatments as with surgery. I'm not 100% sure I believe him but I'm going to risk it. I should begin to feel relief within a couple of days of the second treatment which will be on Tuesday April 18. But if I feel as good between now and then as I am today, I'll be very happy, and so will my family.

My wife informed me that it will be nice to have the old me back, apparantly I've been very grumpy and have been rippig the heads of the kids off for minor infractions lately. I guess she is write I am pretty quick to yell lately, I guess its from being on edge all the time from the pain. In that sense, I'll be glad to get back to the old me too.

So there you have it. We'll know more about how things are progressing within two weeks. Wish me luck and as always if you are the praying type, keep praying for me, I'll be more than happy to return the favor when you request it.

Take care all.

No comments: