December 1, 2006

Mr. Robert Stokely: "Today, I am embarrassed to be a Georgian."

In the January - March session of the Georgia General Assembly in 2005, a bill was introduced, passed, and signed into law called the HERO Legislation - SB 43. The intent was good for it gave the members of Georgia's 48th Brigade and other Reservists called up for deployment to Iraq and Afghanistan a $2000 a year educational grant for up to four years if they served 180 days in the combat zone. It even went so far as to give this grant to the children of these soldiers, even children that were born nine months within the soldier's return from combat deployment. Sounds great - right? Well it was, but for I discovered some real oversights and brought them to the attention of my State Senator who then got with others to correct them.

First, when my son Mike was killed three months into his combat tour, I worked to see that his wife got what she should. In the process, I discovered there was no spousal benefit for her and even if there had been, the 180 day service period would have knocked her out of the running. Likewise, a soldier wounded and sent home prior to the 180th day would be deprived, as would their children. Such was the case with the two soldiers seriously wounded when Mike was killed. This likewise would have affected two of Mike's fellow 108th CAV Troop E soldiers killed two weeks after he died, each of which left children and one of which had a wife.

In the 2006 session Senate Bill 415 was introduced into the Georgia Senate and sailed through. It went to the House and was assigned to the House Higher Education Committee. That is where the undoing started. Sadly the Georgia House Higher Education Committee quietly gutted the surviving spouse provision and such was not discovered by me or others. I feel embarassed I was so asleep at the wheel, but took it on faith that the bill was going to take care of the surviving spouses. In fact, if you pull the internet head note of this bill it states it is adding a surviving spouse benefit, but in reality it does not.

What would it have cost to leave this benefit in for these soldiers and their surviving spouse? All were not married, some may not even use the benefit, but assuming they were and do - a total state expenditure of $208,000 for a State sitting on a $600,000,000 surplus.

Sadly, it is yet to be determined if this was then voted on by the State House and then State Senate in ignorance without reading and understanding the substituted bill or whether it was the intent of these very legislators and Governor to deprive these 26 soldiers and their widows of a surviving spouse education benefit. What were they thinking? Or were they?

Worse yet no one, including myself, seemed to catch this until yesterday when I discussed this with Governor Perdue's staff. If the slap in the face wasn't stinging enough, I am then told "the governor isn't to blame, he can only sign what is put before him" and that I needed to talk to my legislative leaders. This coming from a Governor who just campaigned and was re-elected running commercial after commercial saying "tell me what should be on my "Sonny Do List" and bragging what he was going to do. Well, Governor Perdue, here is one that should be at the top of your Sonny Do List and a much better use of the $600,000,000 surplus to help a war widow go to college.

I promised my boy I would look after his wife of ten days, and re-affirmed that promise just a week before he was killed. I now think back on Mike's decision to forego the opportunity to stay home and recruit because, as he put it "I can't let my guys go it alone...". Well, I will not let my boy's widow go it alone, nor will I let my boy's guys who fell with him and their widows go it alone.

Is it too much too ask that fallen sons of Georgia, serving their State militia and asked to go fight for this country to be put on equal footing with those who returned? Is it too much to ask to spend as much on war widows educational benefits as the State of Georgia did to have a bronze jackass erected at the State Fairgrounds a couple years ago? Is it too much to ask to use just a small portion of the interest on the $600,000,000 surplus to help these war widows get better educated and have a better life?

I ask for your help. If any person who will would send a letter to the Governor of Georgia and in-coming Lt. Governor Cagle (who was in the State Senate when this mess happened), and also ask their friends in Georgia to do likewise, the noise level might get their attention. Politicians understand one thing - noise from the citizens, and a little shock and awe is needed to get their attention. Likewise, a complete list of State Representatives and State Senators in the Georgia Legislature can easily be found on line, and many have email addresses.

I would consider it a special favor. Letters can be sent to:

Governor Sonny Perdue
State Capitol
Atlanta Georgia 30034

Lt. Governor Elect Casey Cagle
State Capitol
Atlanta Georgia 30334

You are welcome to use my name, say I sent you, and pass my contact info around.

Thanks,

Robert Stokely

proud dad of SGT Mike Stokely
KIA Iraq 16 Aug 05 near Yusufiyah south of Baghdad
US Army E Troop 108th CAV 48th Brigade GAARNG


[Ed Note: I know Mr. stokely had his cell phone number in this post, but I removed it for fear that the wrong pwople would call to harass him. If you would like his cell phone number please email him or me and we will provide it.]

No comments: