June 14, 2006

9/11 Tribute Needs Our Help

D. Challener Roe wrote the other day A Call for Help.

He has a wonderful idea and one that I think those of us in the Milblog blogosphere would be able to help with considerably. He writes:


I have a project and I need the help of a few bloggers to make it work.
2,995 bloggers.

September 11, 2006 will mark the 5-year anniversary of the attacks that killed 2,996 innocent people on American soil. A few months ago I started wondering what, if anything, I would write in my blog that day. A remembrance? A tribute? Anything I came up with seemed shallow, cliché, not enough.
Are you tracking this? Do you see where he wants to go with this? I do and I think you will once you read this excerpt:


So here’s my proposal
I’d like 2,995 blogging volunteers to help me with a tribute to the victims of 9/11. If you’d like to participate, you’ll be assigned the name of someone who was murdered on September 11, 2001. Then on September 11, 2006 you’ll post your own tribute to that person. It can be anything you want it to be: a photo tribute, an essay, a remembrance, a poem…it’s up to you. Then link back to a page I will create which will give the names of all 2,996 victims and links to the blogs that will remember them that day.

Here is the best part:

But, and this is critical, I don’t want any of us to remember the murderers. Do not refer to the terrorists. Or their organization. Or their goals. Let them fade into nothing. Let them be forgotten. Remember those worth remembering.



So come on Milbloggers, lets get on board with this simple act of remembering something we do every day for our own benefit as well as the benefit of our fallen brothers and sisters and those brothers and sisters still taking the fight to the enemy.

Drop D.C.Roe a comment here and let’s take the fight to the enemy and remember some of the brave American’s who gave their life simply by going to work on September 11, 2001.

You can also help by stealing this button and placing it on your blog, especially if you are going to be taking part in the tribute.



Thank you!

H/T: The Kept Woman

UPDATE: Open Posted at The Mudville Gazette

No comments: