October 19, 2006

Web Reconnaissance for 10/19/2006

A short recon of what’s out there that might draw your attention.


In the News: (Registration may be required to read some stories)
'Dramatic change of direction' coming for Iraq “The escalating violence raking Baghdad and other Iraqi cities is pushing that nation's leaders, neighboring Arab countries and U.S. advisers to consider a dramatic change of direction in the conduct of the war.” (READ MORE)

Democrats would reverse Bush's work “The Democrats' election-year agenda, which says what they will do if the voters put them back in charge of Congress, would seek to overturn or change just about everything President Bush and the Republicans have done since 2001.” (READ MORE)

Conservative voters likely to stay home “The Republican Party can stave off defeat with a strong turnout on Nov. 7, party leaders are telling the faithful -- but they are finding it tough to sell that message to some disillusioned conservative voters.” (READ MORE)

Palestinian Puzzle “A Business Professor in Springfield Goes on Trial Today On U.S. Charges of Supporting Hamas. He Strongly Denies It. After two years of house arrest, the business professor is to go on trial in Chicago today, accused of being a part of a sprawling U.S. network that helped the Palestinian group Hamas. The Justice Department regarded the case so important that Attorney General John D. Ashcroft himself announced the indictment of Ashqar and two co-defendants in 2004.” (READ MORE)


News From the Front:
Bandit 36 writes B36 News - 18 October 2006 “The days are starting to run together now and I imagine that this phenomena will only get worse ... or better depending on your point of view. It's nice because time seems to go faster, but that also means that I run the risk of missing deadlines. I haven't yet, but only because of reminders from my NCOs and my To-Do list. Anyway, good things are still happening in Iraq, check these stories out:” (READ MORE)

T.F. Boggs writes Time Is Getting Short “Leaving the wire one last time. With only three or so weeks left till I return home I am having some of the same thoughts I had at the end of my first deployment. While I am ready to go home and get away from the army for a while I feel a bit hesitant about leaving Iraq. It may sound funny to an outsider but part of me wants to stay here and continue doing my job, although admittedly a smaller part of me wants to stay this time than I did the first time.” (READ MORE)


On the Web:
Dafydd writes Bush Is Right: Iraq Is Like Vietnam “...But not quite the way George Snuffleupagus meant it, and likely not the way other Democrats mean when they hurl the charge. What am I talking about? (Do I know?) Oh, yes, it's this interview by Snuffleupagus of the president, which includes this exchange of which ABC makes much:” (READ MORE)

Senator Rick Santorum writing at Captain's Quarters writes The Fight – We Must Keep It Up “The debates are over, and I’m feeling great. Yet, I can’t deny that the heat is on to ensure voters understand the choice they’re making before they go to the polls in 20 days. And campaigning hard we are … yesterday I was in Philadelphia for several events and today I’ll be spending dusk ‘til dawn campaigning back home in Southwest PA. Those reading this blog hopefully understand the stakes in this year’s Election:” (READ MORE)

Mohammed of Iraq the Model writes Me in the new Islamic State! “Nothing changed in my life as a Baghdadi since my city was announced a part of the Islamic State of al-Qaeda. Of course I did not expect an improvement in electricity, security or other services but I was at least expecting a change in life style under the leadership of the new caliph Abu Omar al-Baghdadi (Abu who??). I didn't see the women being forced to wear the chador nor did I see men switching to wear the official outfit of terror (the short dishdasha and the bushy dirty beard)!” (READ MORE)

John Hawkins writes The Latest From The Daily Kos: Bush-Hitler Will Call Off The Election! “Over at the most popular liberal blog on earth, The Daily Kos, diarist radio waves has a bold prediction: that Chimpy McBushHitler will actually cancel the election (These guys just keep getting crazier and crazier as time goes on): ‘Many of us have by now made the Bush/Hitler comparison. Most of us are good and decent and have had a hard time fully grasping the reality of the first Hitler, and now it looks like few will see the new Bush/Hitler for what he is until it's too late.’” (READ MORE)

MaryAnn of Soldiers Angels Germany writes There Are No Words. (From a letter sent to Patti Bader) “…I wanted you to know that you and your many Angels are doing a great job. I would mail my son magazines and cookies every Saturday. He has told me several times how much he appreciated the mail I sent him and when he was home on leave in June he told me of the letters your Angels were sending to him. Patti, I have found your letter to my son tonight as I was going through all of his mail that he had saved and some of the mail that I had sent to him that he never received.” (READ MORE)

Cassandra writes Media's Tet Offensive Sapping Our Will “Did you happen to catch the headlines this morning? From all accounts an historic event occurred; a watershed of epic proportions. In a war where our side has suffered endless setbacks we finally saw the first glimmering of clear and unequivocal victory, long past the time when reason or even blind hope could have predicted it. But all the same, there it was this morning; the words fairly lighting up screen as if to say, ‘Mission Accomplished’:” (READ MORE)

Ian of HotAir writes Video: ‘Wrong’ Rosie won’t voice support for US victory in Iraq “Bill O’Reilly was on this morning’s “The View” to discuss his book, “traditionalists” and “secular progressives”, and a variety of other issues. Before Bill O came out with the gals, Rosie introduced ‘Disagree’ and ‘Wrong’ signs she plans to use with the upcoming interview. Sort of like Olympic judges, I guess, with the East German model of impartiality. Later in the interview those signs come back and bite her you know where.” (READ MORE)

Jay Tea of Wizbang writes And Then What? “One of the most infuriating things is dealing with people who simply can not think things through. They get upset about something and decide that they have to do SOMETHING, then pat themselves on the back for having "taken a stand" and "taken action" -- when, most of the time, they've improved things not a whit, or often made them worse. Liberals are notorious for this. They seem to think that "feelings" trump reality, that as long as you FEEL like you've achieved something, you've actually done something. It's the same sort of attitude that has them banning keeping score in children's sporting events -- that way everyone can "feel" like a winner.” (READ MORE)

Stop the ACLU has The Geneva Conventions and Habeas Corpus: Why the Left-Wing Reactionaries are Wrong “The reactionary hand-wringing about the Military Commissions Act of 2006 is wholly devoid of intellectual support and contradicted by the Geneva Conventions themselves. The flaccid objections are based in three parts: that unlawful combatants can be anyone, Habeas Corpus is a right enjoyed by military combatants, and a misunderstanding of the Geneva Convention documents (if they are read at all). Through on top a healthy dose of paranoia and you have basically the entire dogma of the liberal establishment on the issue.” (READ MORE)

No comments: