March 14, 2007

America is Blessed

On Friday, March 9 I wrote about Andy Rooney's column I Feel A Draft, Mr Robert Stokely father of Sgt Michael Stokely responded:
Mike Stokely was not a criminal misfit, he was the kid next door who decided he would serve his country in an extra-ordinary way - and he wasn't alone in that pursuit. That, Mr. Rooney, is why the American military is not made up of ordinary people, because ordinary people will be, well just ordinary, and accomplish little else.

Mr. Stokely is absolutety correct, ordinary people will always be ordinary. Today he brings us a story of another extraordinary member of society, I'm not at all suprised to hear thet he also enlisted in the US Army.

Mr. Stokely writes:


In the last year and a half I have often heard the phrase "where do we get such fine young people to serve our country." Yesterday, I had reason to pause and consider this phrase again.

His name is Justin Haldeman, just 18, not even out of high school a year. I watched him grow up as a boy in my church, devout in his beliefs, and dedicated to his family. A little over a year ago, I was pleasantly surprised as he beamed with pride, telling me he was joining the Georgia National Guard. And, his face held an extra special beam when he told me he was joining up with my boy's old unit, E Troop 108th CAV. But, then to be honest, I worried, for he was small in stature, almost frail. He told me he needed to gain and maintain weight to qualify. I remember telling him those CAV Scouts are kind of a "rough" bunch, but he was undaunted, and made it clear, in his very polite and soft spoken way, that he could handle it.

He left immediately after his high school graduation for basic training at Ft. Jackson South Carolina, and then on to AIT (Advanced Infantry Training). In January, he became a cadet at Georgia Military College in Milledgeville - my boy's college. He had also started drilling with my boy's old unit, just back from Iraq, and now redesignated Bravo 2/121 Infantry out of Griffin GA. Even better, this unit was slated to move to the armory our town in the near future - Newnan / Coweta County GA.

Justin never failed to come up to me at church or at his part-time job in a local restaurant, to tell me how it was going. He beamed with pride and promised to serve with honor and do his duty for his country. While his stature was small, his heart was enormous. It reminded me of a saying during pep talks my high school football coach, Willie Oswalt would tell our team, itself small in stature and numbers. "Quitters never win, and winners never quit; Boys, it ain't the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it is the size of the fight in the dog. Now let's go get'em" as our 15 players would run out onto the field with abandon to face teams fielding 90 or more bigger, huskier players.

Justin Haldeman died near Georgia Military College campus on March 13, 2007, as a passenger in a car wreck. He never saw combat, but his dream was to be fully prepared to lead others on a day he felt certain our country would need him to do so in some far away place. The gleam in his eye yielded an internal will that was as CAN DO WILL DO as I have ever seen. He answered the call to duty, something few do so many don't have to.

He is a hero to me, for he committed himself to his country, giving his very best, his all. While those his age whiled away fun filled hours on sunny beaches on senior trips post graduation, he sweated to the "urging" of a drill sergeant in the hot South Carolina sun, becoming a man of men, learning how to defend his country. Oh, how I would have loved to have seen him and Mike Stokely serve together, for no doubt, they would have hit it off, for they shared such common ground - a love of God, family, and country. Even though Justin couldn't serve with my boy, he proudly wore my boy's dog tag, with a promise he would never forget my boy's service.

For sure, I shall never forget Justin Haldeman and his service, brief as it was, but no less important. And, I am reminded of Willie Oswalt, who would have loved to have had Justin Haldeman on his team. No doubt, America was blessed to have Justin Haldeman on her team.
Rest in peace with your Lord, Justin, for you have served him and America well. While you will be sorely missed, you will be remembered.

DUTY HONOR COUNTRY

Robert Stokely
proud dad SGT Mike Stokely
KIA 16 Aug 05 near Yusufiyah south of Baghdad


Rest in peace Justin, Fiddler's Green awaits the arrival of another Cavalry Trooper, it is time now that the staff of The Thunder Run say in remembrance:

"A cavalry soldier passed on the Stetson and Sword today.
Boots at rest ... taps echoed once again.
Flagpoles stand at half; the banner flies stoutly with the wind."
"A Cavalry Soldier stepped off a "Winged Horse" today.
Troopers stand with heels pressed taut ... adorned with glazed eyes.
Flattened hands pushed temple tight, for one's last combat flight."
"A Cavalry soldier died today, with honor forged on infinity's wall.
Long vanished Cavaliers proudly join the final charge,
So remembrance could speak the name ... for eternity's present roll-call."
- Thomas J. Criser, SGT

Our hearts are with you trooper and with your family...Mr. Stokely is right, America is blessed to have had you on her team.

No comments: