October 13, 2007

Called Out...

The milblog community has failed our own.

What? Say it isn't so? How could we have failed our own, when everyday we bring the good news about our military to the populace? Well, my friends we have failed, and a dear friend of the milblog community has called us, and me in particular, on it....and I at least deserve it.

On Thursday I received an email from Jennifer Gunderson, New Media Publicity Coordinator of CBS Entertainment about the upcoming episode of Ghost Whisperer “Haunted Hero” which aired yesterday. Her release stated:

The story begins with a U.S. soldier and Iraqi war veteran who recently returned from combat with a medal in hand only to later be accused of deserting his platoon. The soldier is continuously haunted with nightmares reminding him of his time at war, specifically that night he lost his men, and it’s up to Melinda (Jennifer Love Hewitt) to find out the truth. This episode blends fiction with a dose of reality as real-life U.S. Soldier Veterans participated in this historic episode.

Being the pessimest about hollywoods intention I emailed friend of this blog: Huntress who writes at Diary of a Hollywood Refugee. I emailed Huntress because I was concerned about CBS's intent with this episode, was it really a tribute to the sacrifice endured by our military as they fight in and return home form the war on terror, or was it to eb a thinly veiled slam against them?

Huntress wrote in reply to my questions:
I tried to get an advance copy of this show - but no luck so far. Altho I do this show to be upfront about their intention and there is no way the PR would indicate that this is a tribute if it were anything but that. I DO Know that real vets did participate and that several people involved with the show are PRO SOLDIER.

This should not be interpreted as being ' right wing' or "pro the war in iraq' from what I was told - its not making a " political statement' about the war - but rather expressing an appreciation towards those who serve.

Again without having seen an advance copy I can't be certain but my gut combined with my knowledge of those involved with the show says this will be a moving tribute to our soldiers in Iraq.

I will be watching on Friday.

It was then that I allowed my bias to present itself and we entered into a long email discussion about Hollywood's track record with their portrayal of the Military, and my displeasure with the CBS series The UNIT, and I stated that the series and taken a left-wing slant with the season premier for season 3. (Disclosure: I was afforded an advance copy of the season two premier, which I loved and reviewed on this blog, but not long after that I just simply stopped watching it, again.)

Huntress called me on it:
From Day One the majority of the Units exploits - the relationships between family members -and screwing the commander of the Unit while your married to a member of the Unit - have all been FANTASY. Or if you prefer Very heightened reality. It has never been a true representation of his time in Delta!

That season premiere was fair and balanced and presented both sides of the issue beautifully. Since no one seemed to object about the shows pure fantasy elements from day one - I have to wonder why its an issue all of a sudden.

So the eppy points to a few rogue Gov't officials who take the law into their on hands and act on it while framing the Unit. The Unit uncovers the truth and stands for justice and not torturing and killing terrorists but working within the law - and
suddenly - the show leans left??

You said it took a left wing turn - so I don't see how you can make a different argument now. You didn't initially say anything about it being "pure fantasy or not rep his time in Delta.

From the get go the show has been for the most part - pure fantasy - but has put the soldiers and America in a positive light.

In fact it hasn't changed ONE BIT since its inception. The Unit is like 24 - pure fantasy!

Based on what you initially wrote to me something politically about that eppy bothered you. So much so - that you were concerned about The Ghost Whisperer :>)

I'd ask you to look hard and figure out what the real issue is David. I've never known you to backtrack on something you initially feel because honestly this show hasn't changed ONE BIT since its inception!

We should talk over the phone - email isn't the best way to engage in convo:>) We disagree - but I luv ya!! You know that, right?!!

And it was then that we came to Friday night and a chance for the milblog community to prove that it wasn't just some right-wing of pro-military version of MoveOn.org, the chance to tune in and see for ourselves what it was that CBS was trying to tell us with this episode of Ghost Whisperer. But I didn't watch the episode, a lot of us didn't watch the episode. Sure I was at a Cub Scout event for my son...and yes I could have recorded it (Still no TIVO in the house...hint hint) but I didn't. I didn't even make an effort and I missed one great episode of a show.

Huntress writes in her review:
Tonite, I watched a special episode of Ghost Whisperer titled "Haunted Hero". It was a dramatic, touching, sad, moving, authentic, honorable, elegant, dignified, uplifting beautiful, emotional, and evocative tribute to our troops...Tonite, Hollywood done me proud.

And I didn't watch...we didn't watch it.

Huntress wrte to me this morning with her review...and I replied:
I'm sorry I missed it....I should have made time to watch it.

And she let me have it...she let us all have it:
I m ..stunned and not happy!!.

Everyone on the right is always so quick to pre judge, condemn bitch and moan about everything that Hollywood does and yet when these good decent people bothered to do something GOOD, something honorable, and then to approach influential milbloggers, as well as the usual press to generate viewers but more
importantly to let you know that this would be a tribute, not a tongue lashing, and you didn't watch, Noonan didn't watch, and several other milbloggers also didn't make time to watch....cuz its sooo much easier to make time to bitch moan berate assume the worst and yet not bother to find out the truth.

Which is ironic because that was the subtext of this episode! Shameful. Shameful. Shameful

CBS, the writers, cast and crew, and those vets who served and took part in the show represented our troops beautifully -- they all took ALOT of time to create this beautiful, elegant, dramatic, uplifting, dignified evocative tribute to our troops... Kudos to them..........shame on all those in the vocal right wing community who just couldn't bother to take the time to honor their efforts.

And she is right, we spend a lot of time digging for the truth, but only when we perceive an error against us, but here was a network, taking the time to include us in their audience and in their tribute to the troops and I didn't watch.

I didn't bother to even tune in to see it for myself, and I let our troops down...

No comments: