March 10, 2008

Techbleg

Techies I need your help.

I recently went wireless at home with the addition of a Dell laptop (Vista Home) and a wireless router. On day one I installed the router and successfully configured my pc (XP Pro sp2) and the laptop to connect to the network. On day two I added my network ready HP printer, ran several test documents from both the pc and the laptop, with the laptop tests coming from differnet rooms of the house.

All was well except for a nagging issue with the laptop that it would from time to time just shut down. After 2 weeks of digging the culprit responsible for the shut-downs was identified as the anti-virus software installed on the machine by Dell (PC-Cillin).

After a difficult uninstall of PC-Cillin I began the install of AVG when without warning the laptop went black and shut down....completely.

I restarted the laptop and after 45 minutes finally received the message that Windows did not shut down properly possibly due to a recent hardware or software upgrade, please allow Windows to analyse and correct the issue. 60 minutes later the laptop restarted seemingly without any issues.

I finished configuring AVG and the laptop seems to be running okay with one minor issue...I can now no longer print from the laptop to the network printer.

Can anyone provide me some guidance on this issue? Is it a setting in the AVG firewall settings? I'm at a loss.

No comments: