April 27, 2008

A Response to Mr. Marvin Rhodes (Robert Stokely)

Mr. Rhodes, in addressing the controversy about Mr. Obama not wearing a flag stick pin or saluting our flag, says a flag pin signifies nothing and "Flag pins are for those who never gave anything for this country to hide behind." While I don't wear a flag pin everyday, I do incorporate the great symbol of our country in my life each and everyday. I don't do it to hide behind the flag or to feign patriotism. I do it to show my respect for those serving, those who have served, and those whose time to serve will soon be at hand. More importantly, I do it for an even more important reason, I do it to honor my son, whose flag draped casket I met at Atlanta Airport on August 24, 2005.

Mr. Rhodes is entitled to his opinion and to freely express it. But, he goes to far when he degragates those who have a different opinion that a candidate to be our military commander-in-chief should show his support and respect to our military in a manner that they clearly see as a signal of his support and respect - honoring the flag they so proudly wave and are willing to die to defend. Mr. Rhodes' words above, boldly proclaims that only he and those like him, who "served", putting it on the line and risking his life for our country are the sole arbiters of this debate about Mr. Obama not wearing the flag stick pin.

Well Mr. Rhodes, I never was in the military and I never was "at risk", but even if I had been, nothing, not even the giving of my own life, could compare to what doing so has cost me. A son who did cost me so much more, for the cost was a life time of love. And, for the record, Mr. Obama should be willing to wear a stick pin and salute the American flag, for why would he want to show less support for those he seeks to lead as commander-in-chief than he was willing to show when he dressed up in the traditional tribal dress when visiting his father's homeland?

Robert Stokely
proudly Remembering with Honor my son, SGT Mike Stokely
Killed in Action August 16, 2005 near Yusufiyah Iraq
US Army E 108 CAV 48th BCT GAARNG

No comments: