April 17, 2006

Honor a Hero (Revealed)

Last month I posted a cryptic email in regards to Sgt Mike Stokely, someone had followed a link to my site in regards to a post of mine about Mike Stokely. That person was Kat in Ga. of “Yikes!” That email started a new friendship that has only helped me in my mission of making sure that Mike Stokely is never forgotten.

Saturday Kat in GA sent me an email stating, “…I was going to wait until later next week to reveal the latest "Sneaky Kat Adventure" that I've been up to for the past several weeks, but I'm finding I just can't wait that much longer. Anyway, if you visited my little blog here between mid-February and earlier this month, you no doubt saw a link to, and some postings about, "Operation Honor a Hero." Various other bloggers around the internet, as well as myself, were asking our readers to please send a message of love and support to the family of a solider who had been killed in action, in honor of what would have been his 24th birthday on April 19.

Stop on by and wish her well, and please take a look at the album, it really is wonderful.

I was one of the many people that sent in an email to the family so that it could be used in the album. Mr. Stokely must have read everyone one of them for he sent me an email later thanking me for my submission.

Well, Mr. Stokely the privilege was all mine.

I know that this Wednesday (April 19) will be a difficult one for you, and I wish that it wasn’t as such for you. The rest of “your boys” are coming home but your boy Mike, came home a long time ago, just not the way we all expected that he would. Mike, I know though, is smiling down on us as we wander though this life, leading us to the proper place we should be. Unlike, a more famous Gold Star parent, Mr. Robert Stokely is not blaming President Bush for his son’s death, instead he knows exactly why Mike Stokely, Spc, Cav Scout died in Yusufiyah Iraq, he died simply because he loved this country more than anything. He died just because it was his duty; he died just because if he didn’t go on that mission another friend of his would have had to go. He died just because he accepted his purpose in life and he let nothing deter him from its path.

He closed his email to me by saying, “Thanks so much for your friendship, and listening as I talk and express my feelings.” How does one say thank you to a man that has lost so much and yet still thanks you for doing what is only right? I hope that I can do you justice in all that I do. Mr. Stokely, thank you for letting me meet Mike and you listening and my friendship and support are a privilege that I will always cherish.

No comments: