June 13, 2006

Web Reconnaissance for 06/13/2006

A short recon of what’s out there that might draw your attention.


The Babylon Blog writes Life During Wartime “I’ve been told by some of you that you are tired of hearing about Hadithah on the news. I can’t say that I blame you, but this is what I hear from Hadithah…
At 8 o’clock in the evening, as the sun slowly sets and the blistering desert heat begins to give way to a cooler evening breeze, I sit outside our building and hear children playing in the distance.” (read more)

Fun With Hand Grenades writes Stressing “At the end of my last entry I asked the question “how will Iraq affect life back in the States for me?” As I prepare to get the hell out of dodge for a while it’s a question that’s always going through my constantly thinking little analytical mind.” (read more)

Serving The People of Iraq writes Not What I Expected “My new friend had already worked with the Americans here for a year or two before I got to this operating base, and he had made some very good friends of them in that time, so it wasn’t difficult for him to strike up a friendship with me. I was sad to be leaving friends behind that I had made at my previous operating base, but in retrospect, I’m glad I came here, because of a friendship I would have missed.” (read more)

Bruce of Bruce’s Deployment to Afghanistan writes Week 23 (4-10 JUN 2006) “…All is well here at FOB Salerno and here is what is new: This week’s entry highlights my Detachment Sergeant SFC Juan Sanchez-Martinez. He left for R&R on Sunday. I hope he is not gone for the entire month like many soldier’s have been because of transportation difficulties from Bagram. He is my right hand and it will be a difficult month without him. He went back to Puerto Rico to visit his family and I got an email from him today. I am glad he made it safe and sound.” (read more)

Captain B writes COURAGE “To take the initial step forward, go where others don’t want to go, bravely fight battles and win. Conduct combat operations for days on end then turn and carry out humanitarian care and emergency help to foreign and domestic soil.” (read more)

Trevor at The Will To Exist writes Juan Cole on Zarqawi “Irony. It follows me everywhere. Elizabeth just suggested that I read some books from Juan Cole’s recommended reading list. I don’t recall paying much attention to the name Juan Cole until yesterday. So Elizabeth pretty much introduced me to Juan Cole, Middle East affairs expert. Today, in my web travels, I was re-introduced to Juan Cole, expert on recently deceased chopper of heads Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.” (read more)

Michael J. Totten writes Okay, So I Guess He Existed “A few days ago I was invited on to a radio show to discuss the hit on Abu Musab al-Zarqawi. I tentatively agreed to be interviewed with the caveat that I had visited parts of Iraq where Zarqawi used to live and, um, work, but that I have never been to the places Zarqawi had terrorized lately. I didn't want to be asked any questions from an interviewer who thought I knew more than anyone else who followed the Zarqawi story from far away.” (read more)

John Noonan at OPFOR writes 'JAG'ged Justice? “Umanksy isn't necessarily wrong, but he isn't exactly right either. It is true that commanders have exceptional power when it comes to the prosecution and punishment of their troops, but the way Umansky spins the story makes it sound like individual commanders are the end all/be all for military justice. In reality, the military legal system -from investigation to prosecution- is an incredibly complex, multi-layered entity, in which the unit commander is a single stone in the technicolored mosiac. Umansky props his argument up on this cornerstone:” (read more)

Andi of Andi’s World writes We Have Options “Over at MilBlogs, I discuss something that is an absolute disgrace. In a time of war, the mainstream media go out of their way to ignore the heroism of our troops. While ABC, CBS and NBC have chosen to highlight this potential scandal [Haditha], a new Media Research Center study finds those same networks have given far less attention to the heroic deeds of the 20 members of the U.S. military who have received the highest recognition for bravery since the war on terror began. In fact, 14 of the country's top 20 medal recipients have gone unmentioned by ABC, CBS and NBC. Outrageous!” (read more)

Cassandra of Villainous Company writes Zarqawi And The Power Of Symbolism “The media, for the most part, continue to downplay the significance of killing Abu al-Musab Zarqawi, dismissing its importance as mostly symbolic: Terrorist Abu Musab al-Zarqawi's death is a major symbolic victory. But it is unlikely to noticeably alter the tactical situation in Iraq. The damage Zarqawi has done in stirring an Iraqi insurgency is likely to continue. I disagree with that assessment. While caveats are certainly in order (no one believes the terrorists will be crushed by a single setback), I find it amusing that the press de-emphasize the impact of "symbolic" victories in a war of ideas.” (read more)

John Hawkins of Right Wing News writes The Democratic Underground Thread Of The Day: Was Killing Zarqawi A War Crime? “Over at the Democratic Underground, they're still talking about the death of Zarqawi, in particular, the baseless accusation that US troops beat him to death after he died. Not every person in the thread agreed with the sentiments you're about to read, but nevertheless, these comments provide a window into the liberal mindset that you may find elightening. The thread started off with this post...” (read more)

Moe Lane writing at RedState writes Good MORNING, Moonbat Lurkers! “How are we today? It's shaping up to be a beautiful day here on the East Coast: sunny, mild, bit of a breeze. We are being teased with a cheerful June morning that seductively whispers to you about how you actually want to call in sick and head for the beach/mountains/park (even we VRWC Death Beasts like the park; the entire torturing of small woodland creatures thing, you understand). All in all, a lovely day to be alive. And, oh, yes: Patrick Fitzgerald isn't indicting Karl Rove. Oh, I'm sorry: you hadn't read about that, yet? My bad.” (read more)

Neptunus Lex writes Daniel Schorr “I don’t know whether or not you listen to NPR on a daily basis or not, gentle reader. I do, but then again I’m a news junkie and we do live in such interesting times. I’d hate to miss any of them, and say what you will about their “point of view,” the public broadcasting folks do a swell job of getting more insight into the news than does the other broadcast media.” (read more)

Michelle Malkin writes THE LIE LIVES ON “On June 3, I called attention to a false photo in the Times of London that purported to show victims of Haditha slaughtered by US Marines. The photo was of fishermen executed in a Haditha stadium by terrorists six months before the Nov. 19 incident under investigation by the US military. On June 6, I called attention to the use of that same false photo by the Chicago Sun-Times. On June 7, I reported that the Sun-Times had apologized. But as I said of the London Times' apology, "some smears aren't so easy to take back—“ (read more)

Omar of Iraq the Model writes Iraq, Jordan send powerful messages to Zarqawi's lovers.
“The anti-Zarqawi-lovers sentiment is getting stronger in the region, especially in Iraq and Jordan where Zarqawi and his gangs committed their worst crimes. Al-Sharq al-Awsat reports that authorities in Jordan have issued arrest warrants against four MPs from the Islamic movement; two of whom (Mohammed Abu Faris and Jafar al-Hourani) are already in custody while the search continues for Ali Abu al-Sukkar and Ibrahim al-Meshokhi.” (read more)

No comments: