March 31, 2007

Welcome Home A Hero Program

On Monday I posted a video about Bert Brady and his participation in the Welcome Home a Hero Program out of Dallas Fort Worth Airport.

I want to thank everyone for their interest in welcoming home our heroes. Unfortunately, programs like this are few and far between. Bangor, Maine currently runs an operation for returning troops as their deployments end and National Guard units as well as Regular Army and Marine units tend to organize their own welcome home locally and through their FRG.

As for R&R flights (Mid-deployment leave) there are only two cities that the R&R flights fly in to, Atlanta and Dallas.

Dallas Fort Worth is the only city in the nation that has the meet and greet. All of Atlanta's operation is in the secure area so they are not able to have the public there to greet the troops.

So that doesn't mean we should be discouraged: you can still contact your local bases and airports to see about organizing welcome home groups when needed and if appropriate. Baltimore Washington International just recently joined the America Supports You program through the DoD and I'm sure that other airports will be also.

Keep looking for these progams near you and I'll continue to provide information on them as I obtain it.

Thank you!

If anyone out there has anymore infor please email it to me here and I'll get it out to everyone I can.

(Ed Note: This post is stuck at the top til 3/31/2007. New posts come in below.)

No comments: