April 1, 2007

April Fooled

The following poen comes to us via a Sergeant serving in Aghanistan, and it is his response to half of America's lack of support:

April Fooled

When I lost a limb,
battling my way through Fallujah,
my vision fading,
my survival looking grim;
You told me,
support for you is dropping,
with talks of war stopping.
You got me.

When I pulled them free,
from a bombed-out mosque,
their bodies broken and headless,
it was a family of three;
You told me,
you soldiers are cruel,
for using torture as a tool.
You got me.

When I saw these guys,
blow up a crowded market,
a young daughter stood near and watched,
with tears in her eyes;
You told me,
your flag is being burned,
because your trust isn’t earned.
You got me.

When a well-placed device,
killed half of my platoon,
blood and body parts scattered,
you were not being nice;
You told me,I
’m sick of this fuel price,
your good deeds do not entice.
You got me.

When I was beginning to doubt,
my nation’s support for this war,I
held my buddy in my arms,
and watched his lights go out;
You told me,
your funding is forfeit,
you need to go on without it.
You got me.

Your jokes were well played,
yet here I sit still dismayed,
and my nerves haven’t cooled,
oh won’t someone please tell me,
that I’ve been April Fooled?

No comments: